• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What’s the most random/strange advice, cures or coping strategies you have been given

E

Earl J

Just wondering what are the strangest or random advice you have been given in your experience with “professionals”

Z

Zoe1

one of them told me to massage my face !

another one told me not to engage in adultery
outside of marriage

:LOL:

T

tasteslikemedicine

When I was hospitalized for self harming in a depressive episode as a teen my therapist told my mom during a session to maybe take away my long sleeve shirts/ full length pants to encourage me to stop since my injuries would be shown 🤦‍♀️

P

Pear

Gp told me to get cbt.
I think it’s a waste of time. Meds are all that matters with bipolar imho.
I had loads of therapy before I was bipolar, in my twenties. It was interesting but not essential.

E

Earl J

One of mine told me to use the 3 second rule..... that is when you’re really depressed and can’t get out of bed, set your alarm for the next morning and soon as it goes off try jump out of bed within 3 seconds.....I’m sure it would work if you weren’t DEPRESSED. Another told me to try drink 2 large glasses of water in the morning when I get up ......and u know what I think it actually helped a little

6ofusathome

A "professional" health promoter assured me that if I took her overpriced vitamins that I would be happy (lol happy is not the goal). She also threw in that a "friend" (read someone she doesn't really know half way across the country) with mental illness saw her doc and he said "do not stop taking those vitamins" lol because $160 a month vitamins are going to cure my bipolar 😂😂

HLon99

HLon99

My mother is very against medication.

I was on Ritalin for a number of years before my Bipolar diagnosis and she believes that the ADHD meds caused it. She might be partially right as my psychiatrist also believes that stimulants may exacerbate psychoses.

But now she believes that the Bipolar meds that I am on are doing me more harm than good, and keeps saying that we should treat it 'naturally' with therapy; even though since I've started meds, its been the first time I've felt normal for the better part of a year. I keep trying to explain to her this isn't some run-of-the mill 'I'm sad because my dog died/had a crappy childhood' jobs, I literally cannot control my moods. This is a serious mental disorder that need to be carefully treated and monitored

I'm not against therapy as a concept, but only as an adjunct to medication. She still thinks that the meds might make me worse somewhere down the line. Could she be right? I don't know. But right now all know is I made the right decision to finally start treatment. But how to make her understand, I have no idea
Anyone help pls

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

She still thinks that the meds might make me worse somewhere down the line. Could she be right?
Personally I would stick with the meds - if it wasn't for the meds controlling my moods I'd have commited suicide by now. So to me meds are vital. As to therepy, or alternative treatments such as accupunture, thse can help help relax you and that is good for your general well being.

Z

Zoe1

there was a lady psychologist
who suggested I hire a stud !

N

Notalwaysever

Probably the weirdest one was the psychologist who told me to follow her finger with my eyes back and fourth so that it would reconnect synapses in my brain and unlock repressed memories. I have no interest in finding out if I have repressed memories, and she was sure I had tons, but if I did I am pretty sure that isn't how it works.

Of course there is always the popular of prescribing me boat loads of antidepressants for my mania lol.

N

Nina998

To aim for my five-year-lifegoals when I've just had my first four stable months in 20 years and after surviving the 2019 including five hospitalizations.

HLon99

HLon99

Probably the weirdest one was the psychologist who told me to follow her finger with my eyes back and fourth so that it would reconnect synapses in my brain and unlock repressed memories. I have no interest in finding out if I have repressed memories, and she was sure I had tons, but if I did I am pretty sure that isn't how it works.

Of course there is always the popular of prescribing me boat loads of antidepressants for my mania lol.
This is called EMDR. It can be an effective strategy for managing traumatic memories in PTSD, a common comorbidity with Bipolar disorder. So it’s perhaps no so strange. But yeah the antidepressants for mania is just dangerous.

N

Nukelavee

You need to go out and get drunk. Here's 50 bucks. - My dad, when I was 18.

E

EvenEve

My therapist told me to ground myself. Look for something to focus on with my eyes, listen with my ears, smell, and touch. It helps sometimes.