What’s next?

P

PlasticMango

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum.

So, let’s just say you’ve been professionally diagnosed with BPD, you go through all of the recommended therapy, discover ways to “cope”, etc. then what’s next? Do you just live out life in a the typical status-quo way with a steady job, paying your bills on time, and maybe a little more in between? I guess I’m just frustrated by the people around me (both family and therapists) just wanting me to cope with life instead of possibly changing my environment and seeing what else the world has to offer...I feel like once you’re diagnosed with BPD, everything you say and do is perceived to be because of it. Don’t like your job? BPD. Relationship problems? BPD. Strong opinions? BPD. Bad mood today? Oh, must be your BPD again. People ultimately question your legitimacy and it’s really tiring. I’m quite in-tune with my symptoms and I know when it’s BPD and when it’s not. I sorta feel like psychiatry in general just wants to get you well enough to go back to work and that’s about it. And when I’ve expressed my views to others, surprise surprise, they’ll say, “Well, it’s characteristic of those with BPD to reject therapy.” You just can’t win. I just feel like maybe some “symptoms” of BPD aren’t that bad after all...I just want more out of life.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Thats why i never told anybody about my bpd at all, i dont need their judgement :hug:

I am currently living a "normal" life after rejecting the non existant "help" cause realistically in my experience where i lived at the time, they dont care :sorry:

Lunus

Lunus

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum.

So, let’s just say you’ve been professionally diagnosed with BPD, you go through all of the recommended therapy, discover ways to “cope”, etc. then what’s next? Do you just live out life in a the typical status-quo way with a steady job, paying your bills on time, and maybe a little more in between? I guess I’m just frustrated by the people around me (both family and therapists) just wanting me to cope with life instead of possibly changing my environment and seeing what else the world has to offer...I feel like once you’re diagnosed with BPD, everything you say and do is perceived to be because of it. Don’t like your job? BPD. Relationship problems? BPD. Strong opinions? BPD. Bad mood today? Oh, must be your BPD again. People ultimately question your legitimacy and it’s really tiring. I’m quite in-tune with my symptoms and I know when it’s BPD and when it’s not. I sorta feel like psychiatry in general just wants to get you well enough to go back to work and that’s about it. And when I’ve expressed my views to others, surprise surprise, they’ll say, “Well, it’s characteristic of those with BPD to reject therapy.” You just can’t win. I just feel like maybe some “symptoms” of BPD aren’t that bad after all...I just want more out of life.
That’s a really interesting post and something I’ve thought about a lot. There’s no doubt that people suffering with BPD can be creative, highly intellectual, perfectionists and very charismatic. Whether you ‘lose’ that upon recovery I don’t know. What I do know is that personally, I’d get off the emotional roller coaster and spend the rest of my life on a lazy river in the blink of an eye. All I want is to end my suffering. That being said, who knows, if I recover I may well forge a new career. Who’s to say you don’t keep your talents and forge new ones when you’ve recovered.

Lunus

Lunus

That’s a really interesting post and something I’ve thought about a lot. There’s no doubt that people suffering with BPD can be creative, highly intellectual, perfectionists and very charismatic. Whether you ‘lose’ that upon recovery I don’t know. What I do know is that personally, I’d get off the emotional roller coaster and spend the rest of my life on a lazy river in the blink of an eye. All I want is to end my suffering. That being said, who knows, if I recover I may well forge a new career. Who’s to say you don’t keep your talents and forge new ones when you’ve recovered.
On your other points, because we use emotional reasoning so often, when they say ‘that’s your BPD’ it may well be that they’re right. I know when I debate something with my wife and I’m 💯 percent convinced I’m right, then if I go into a mindful state I realise I am wrong most if not all the time. I’m not saying you are wrong but just ensure your judgements are based on facts.

G

Girl interupted

I think therapy is a means of getting you up to a level of stability where you can trust the decisions you make. What you do with that stability is up to you.

E

EstherRose94

I used to have moments of mania-ish-ness. Idk if I’m maturing or if it’s treatment that’s working but I have slowed down and for the most part it’s a good thing but when in that mood I would have fought tooth and nail against changing it.