• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Westminster and Disability

T

telemetry9

The words below are written as a warning. It is for anyone who cares about Britain and its moral future towards those who are sick and vulnerable in society.

Dear Sir/Madam,

The philosophy of a large medical finance company such as Unum Provident is dubious to say the least and there have been a large number of senate notifications regarding their behaviour towards people struggling with ill health.

Unum Provident have also advised the British Government in formulating the questions for the new ESA and the changes to Incapacity Benefit. There is a financial component to Unum Providents interest in the UK system of benefits.

The Unum Provident mantra is that illness has to be rethought as no longer just a random chance or lottery of life but as part of the makeup of the person who has become ill. In other words - illness is in part the responsibility of the person who is unlucky enough to become ill.

Depending on your view of illness and disease (or personal experience); you might have your own perspectives on this. I am reminded of the the mantra above the gates of Auschwitz which reads : " Arbeit macht frei". (freedom through work). Unum Provident is in the business of promoting employment as the cure and therapy best suited to most illnesses. A one solution for all approach.

For me; this sends chilling echoes of how work and employment are often used as sticks against people who are vulnerable. It is all to easy to lose your humanity and to begin to believe that illness is a sign of personal weakness rather than misfortune. Far simpler to believe this if you have never been seriously ill or watched someone you love become ill. This is the dangerous road that the British Government has begun to take for very selfish reasons of political and financial gain.

Being disabled - I've found myself at the other end of this rather horrible judgment and assessment and so I can recognize it for what it is. But it's always dressed up as "helping" but nothing could be further from the truth. It's about negating the responsibility of society towards the vulnerable and making those who "chose" to be ill responsible and culpable in their own sickness. A throwing away of the effort of understanding for the much easier and perhaps more profitable ideals of arbitrary evaluation.

This morning I watched the BBC news and saw examples of cancer patients being treated in an arbitrary way under the new ESA rules and regulations. Disability groups were speaking up against the growing number of people suffering as a result of change from Incapacity Benefit to ESA and this new methodology of "care".

The technology of change is often idealized - but people and humanity are seldom so clear cut and neatly arranged. There is always a price to be paid and it is usually the vulnerable who pay it. That change is already beginning. This seems to me the next stage in Westminsters plunge into political darkness and could possibly be bigger than the expenses debacle. Could the system of politics in the UK sink any lower?

What goes around comes around and I believe that anyone promoting these "values" of attacking the vulnerable in society and dressing it up as altruistic are a new beginning in heartlessness becoming endemic in Westminster. As has been shown by the expenses disgrace - something is very rotten at the core of modern Westminster and they seem intent on putting to shame all the good work and humanity of their predecessors. Britain was always a country noted for its humanity and decency towards the vulnerable but that is now changing. They are throwing away the hard won rights and values of our ancestors and being fundamentally dishonest about those changes.

I hope they can be forgiven for throwing away the works of great people in the past. I hope there are people still out there who care about the moral well being of British politics and will stop these travesties of injustice and discrimination against the sick and disabled before the damage is irrepairable to the political status of the UK. Perhaps these words might be a beginning in a process of "waking up" from what is happening to the political health of the United Kingdom. There is one certainty in this life that history has shown as being constant: that there is always a consequence for anyone who chooses to prey on the vulnerable in order to promote selfishness and self interest - however "good intentioned" that behaviour might envisage itself as being.

robert kelly.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Robert,

Read with interest and ALARM - this country I say does have something fundamentally wrong these days.

T

telemetry9

I sent what I had written to the Department of Work and Pensions via email this morning. Jonathan Shaw, MP,(Minister for the disabled) was speaking in defence of the ESA this morning and said: "disabled people tell us themselves that they want to work"....

This was in response to the people with cancer who had found themselves without entitlement to ESA- simply because they were in treatment or their treatment had ended. I assume they had therefore been deemed as eligible to work.

If you would like to find out more about the minister and his voting records in parliament on various subjects then please visit this link:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/jonathan_r_shaw/chatham_and_aylesford

robert

S

smokinghorse

The words below are written as a warning. It is for anyone who cares about Britain and its moral future towards those who are sick and vulnerable in society.

Dear Sir/Madam,

The philosophy of a large medical finance company such as Unum Provident is dubious to say the least and there have been a large number of senate notifications regarding their behaviour towards people struggling with ill health.

Unum Provident have also advised the British Government in formulating the questions for the new ESA and the changes to Incapacity Benefit. There is a financial component to Unum Providents interest in the UK system of benefits.

The Unum Provident mantra is that illness has to be rethought as no longer just a random chance or lottery of life but as part of the makeup of the person who has become ill. In other words - illness is in part the responsibility of the person who is unlucky enough to become ill.

Depending on your view of illness and disease (or personal experience); you might have your own perspectives on this. I am reminded of the the mantra above the gates of Auschwitz which reads : " Arbeit macht frei". (freedom through work). Unum Provident is in the business of promoting employment as the cure and therapy best suited to most illnesses. A one solution for all approach.

For me; this sends chilling echoes of how work and employment are often used as sticks against people who are vulnerable. It is all to easy to lose your humanity and to begin to believe that illness is a sign of personal weakness rather than misfortune. Far simpler to believe this if you have never been seriously ill or watched someone you love become ill. This is the dangerous road that the British Government has begun to take for very selfish reasons of political and financial gain.

Being disabled - I've found myself at the other end of this rather horrible judgment and assessment and so I can recognize it for what it is. But it's always dressed up as "helping" but nothing could be further from the truth. It's about negating the responsibility of society towards the vulnerable and making those who "chose" to be ill responsible and culpable in their own sickness. A throwing away of the effort of understanding for the much easier and perhaps more profitable ideals of arbitrary evaluation.

This morning I watched the BBC news and saw examples of cancer patients being treated in an arbitrary way under the new ESA rules and regulations. Disability groups were speaking up against the growing number of people suffering as a result of change from Incapacity Benefit to ESA and this new methodology of "care".

The technology of change is often idealized - but people and humanity are seldom so clear cut and neatly arranged. There is always a price to be paid and it is usually the vulnerable who pay it. That change is already beginning. This seems to me the next stage in Westminsters plunge into political darkness and could possibly be bigger than the expenses debacle. Could the system of politics in the UK sink any lower?

What goes around comes around and I believe that anyone promoting these "values" of attacking the vulnerable in society and dressing it up as altruistic are a new beginning in heartlessness becoming endemic in Westminster. As has been shown by the expenses disgrace - something is very rotten at the core of modern Westminster and they seem intent on putting to shame all the good work and humanity of their predecessors. Britain was always a country noted for its humanity and decency towards the vulnerable but that is now changing. They are throwing away the hard won rights and values of our ancestors and being fundamentally dishonest about those changes.

I hope they can be forgiven for throwing away the works of great people in the past. I hope there are people still out there who care about the moral well being of British politics and will stop these travesties of injustice and discrimination against the sick and disabled before the damage is irrepairable to the political status of the UK. Perhaps these words might be a beginning in a process of "waking up" from what is happening to the political health of the United Kingdom. There is one certainty in this life that history has shown as being constant: that there is always a consequence for anyone who chooses to prey on the vulnerable in order to promote selfishness and self interest - however "good intentioned" that behaviour might envisage itself as being.

robert kelly.
I totally agree with your comments and it is so sad to think that our society has put profit before moral responsibility. No matter how much we want to dress up ESA using the most fancy words and clothing it is nothing more than a system to save money. I have worked for 16 years within health and local government and for many years I have been out of work due to illness. All of which, if I could, I would gladly get rid off. As "third class" citizen in my own country we do make the mistake nowadays that the politicians care but they don't. All they are looking for is your vote, once they have it you can go and whistle. The majority of politicians are basically scum. They only look after themselves and secure thier comfortable seats. We have, in this country, an elected dictatorship. But who's fault is it? Sadly, ours. We British are good at shouting and screaming but no good at taking physical action. There is an election coming up. Ask your candidate on what will they do for you as a disabled or ill person. Remember, only you can look after you. So if their answer is that they love ESA then your answer is, I hope, simple. Remember this also, GOOD PEOPLE WHO DO NOTHING ALLOW EVIL TO THRIVE. THEY HAVE YOU DON'T. MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD.

T

telemetry9

There has been political activity in the forums. You'll find it in the depression forum at the very top.

A lot of other actions were taken at this time (not just the petition); and even some members of the house of lords were approached regarding the changes to Incapacity Benefit - as well as several mental health charities.

It may only seem like small actions but at least a few tried with the means they had (a computer). I emailed nearly 157 mp's and received some surprising replies. Some from the tories were very intolerant and along the lines of: "i'm glad you lot on IB are being singled out" sort of thing. A few never replied but some were very supportive and knowledgeable.

So: on a day like today, when we lost a proud British industry of nearly 200 years such as Cadburys, I can't think of much being hopeful or of anything of value being valued in modern Britian.

robert.