• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Western Psychiatry in Crisis: UK Psychiatry Re-Positions Itself

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

The one thing that both wings agree on is that the profession faces a threat to its survival. “Some… have questioned whether the psychiatrist is an endangered species… Urgent action is required to… ensure the future of psychiatry as a profession” (Oyebode and Humphreys, 2011); “British psychiatry faces an identity crisis… It is imperative that we specify clearly the key role of psychiatrists” (Craddock et al., 2008); “We believe that such a focus… has potential to strengthen our identity, give psychiatrists more societal relevance, and make psychiatry more attractive as a profession” (Priebe et al., 2013.) As these quotes suggest, the solutions are presented primarily in terms of their benefits to the profession, with little attempt to claim, for example, improved outcomes or greater acceptability to service users themselves.
Ha - funny that, how nobody is considering patients?

...the range of charges that Lucy Johnstone forcefully puts to him: that there is no evidence for biological causal factors in mental distress; that psychiatry is not a legitimate branch of medicine; that there is overwhelming evidence that service users are experiencing the understandable consequences of traumatic life experiences; that psychiatric treatments often do not ‘work’ but create disability; and that many survivors only recover by escaping psychiatry and renouncing their labels.
I like this Lucy person.

Let us not allow the vested interests and dubious arguments of a powerful minority to waste this vital opportunity to replace the discredited biomedical model and its unscientific and stigmatising labels.
Agreed.

Obviously there's a huge problem with people being forced to have treatment they don't want.
But as I said in another thread (can't remember which one off of the top of my head), the way things currently are with psychiatry seems to exclude people who really are desperate for help but don't have a 'serious enough' illness to be offered any support.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Obviously there's a huge problem with people being forced to have treatment they don't want.
But as I said in another thread (can't remember which one off of the top of my head), the way things currently are with psychiatry seems to exclude people who really are desperate for help but don't have a 'serious enough' illness to be offered any support.
i can't argue the pro/critical psychiatry polemics in the same any any more - Not after 10 years of it all on-line - If the majority want to see their problems as broken brains/faulty biology & the best treatment being drugs - then i can't fight that Zeitgeist, i have to accept it all, that this is the way the majority of people & society currently is.

My tact now is to try & raise awareness of what can be done in addition to that - to focus on other psychological/social approaches of understanding & support.

i think ultimately we need a more humane system - But the system is a direct reflection of wider society - the 2 are directly interrelated - We need a humane society to have a humane system. The majority of the masses are just as much the system as psychiatry is - something i think the more progressive people within the system have finally realised.