• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome (wet brain)

jajingna

jajingna

This is a type of dementia you don't hear about much. My brother developed this some years ago. It's caused by a severe lack of thiamine (vitamin B1). This happened to him at age 53 and he has permanent brain damage.

It was pretty scary. I was there at his house when he took ill and needed to go to the hospital. It presents similar to Alzheimer's. Long-term alcoholics can suffer from thiamine deficiency, and indeed that is stated as the cause.

"Wet brain" is an informal term for the illness, doesn't sound serious enough to me. He was a math prof with tenure and had a decent house. Fortunately he's the richest man in the family, with that house sold, and a pension, but that ended any idea of him ever working again. He was formally declared incompetent to manage his own affairs and finances, so a brother looks after that.

It caused a lot of stress, particularly for another brother and me at that time. He stayed in several facilities in Montreal before being moved to the old age home here for a year or two. Depressing place. He now lives with another brother and his wife here in our hometown, which is good and provides a job for the bro looking after him. He talks very little but still has intellectual capacity.

N

NoOne5

Naturopathic Doctor?? :shrug:

Argon

Argon

My father had that. I think the stat is that about 15% of people make a good recovery. Dad did OK but he also had undiagnosed early stage Alzheimer's so after improving from the Korsakoff's he began going downhill. I moved in with him so he could stay home.

frisas45

frisas45

This is a type of dementia you don't hear about much. My brother developed this some years ago. It's caused by a severe lack of thiamine (vitamin B1). This happened to him at age 53 and he has permanent brain damage.

It was pretty scary. I was there at his house when he took ill and needed to go to the hospital. It presents similar to Alzheimer's. Long-term alcoholics can suffer from thiamine deficiency, and indeed that is stated as the cause.

"Wet brain" is an informal term for the illness, doesn't sound serious enough to me. He was a math prof with tenure and had a decent house. Fortunately he's the richest man in the family, with that house sold, and a pension, but that ended any idea of him ever working again. He was formally declared incompetent to manage his own affairs and finances, so a brother looks after that.

It caused a lot of stress, particularly for another brother and me at that time. He stayed in several facilities in Montreal before being moved to the old age home here for a year or two. Depressing place. He now lives with another brother and his wife here in our hometown, which is good and provides a job for the bro looking after him. He talks very little but still has intellectual capacity.
Man, I feel bad for you... How could your brother fall into that mess? So unfortunate and unbelievable. Let me give you a hug. :hug:

K

karl7

my uncle has korsakoff aswell....dementia is very tough.....i hope things improve for your brother and your family

Argon

Argon

He could try Cerebrolysin, a never growth factor. I gave it to my father. It helped with his Alzheimer's. It is used in Europe. I got some from an international pharmacy in Vienna.

C

candycane

So sorry to here this.