We're you on antidepressants before being diagnosed with bipolar?

S

spacingspaces

And if you were how did they affect you? I'm not diagnosed bipolar but i could have it. I'm seeing a psychiatrist at the moment. I'm interested to know how antidepressants affect people with bipolar.

Skynet

Skynet

Now that you ask, I was on antidepressants for OCD around 3 years before being bipolar but they didn't make me manic or hypomanic for some reason.

J

jack black

i'm not officially diagnosed either, but was on antidepressants a few years and felt good. in retrospect, it was hypomania and i didn't know it at that time.

N

Nina998

I was on and off antidepressants for 15 years before being diagnosed with BD. Before BD diagnosis I was diagnosed with unipolar depression, anxiety disorder and panic disorder. When I first started I had my first mania. Meds didn't help me with my swinging moods. For me antidepressants cause me hypomania even when combined with stabilizers. But now I have been off for three months since my last hypomania.

D

DrZee

And if you were how did they affect you? I'm not diagnosed bipolar but i could have it. I'm seeing a psychiatrist at the moment. I'm interested to know how antidepressants affect people with bipolar.
When I added Venlafaxine to the Welbutrin I was already on I went into a hypomanic state (my libido went into overdrive). It was what clued me into the fact that I was bipolar.

megirl

megirl

I was on one antidepressant then citalopram being the nurse thought yep that's what I need for the anxiety, no things got horribly worse until I finally saw a pdoc once then got me on track

S

spacingspaces

I was on and off antidepressants for 15 years before being diagnosed with BD. Before BD diagnosis I was diagnosed with unipolar depression, anxiety disorder and panic disorder. When I first started I had my first mania. Meds didn't help me with my swinging moods. For me antidepressants cause me hypomania even when combined with stabilizers. But now I have been off for three months since my last hypomania.
A counsellor i went to twice eluded to the fact that he thinks im bipolar and suggested a psych eval as he couldn't diagnose me. I'm working with a psychiatrist at the moment and in the first meeting i didn't tell her too much but in the next meeting im gonna lay it all out on the table. Antidepressants only work like 30 percent of the time for me and i mentioned this to the nurse at the mental health clinic and he was baffled by it. He couldn't understand why they only work around 30 percent of the time but i think it could be that i have bipolar and that 30 percent of the time is actually hypomania. Anyways i'm not self diagnosing im gonna wait to see what my psychiatrist says on the 3rd of july but when on antidepressants i go from feeling amazing and energized to feeling really depressed with alot of physical symptoms which mimic thyroid disease even though my thyroid is healthy (i've had alot of tests done).