• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

were u different growing up?

J

jodie20

heya, i am not diagnosed with anything, because i lie to psychiatrists because i don't trust them, i would like to find out if there are any warning signs of bipolar, not as in before an episode, i mean when u were growing up, were you different from other children? how old were u when people began to notice changes? can a life of severe anxiety and stress cause it?

please help me out here ppl!!

emski

emski

Stress and anxiety can trigger psychiatric disorders, yes, but there can be a whole host of other reasons - I don't think most people find out exactly the cause of why they get ill, because very often it is a number of contributing factors.

In my case I would say I've always felt different, and my personality and my family history has always orientated me towards bipolar, but I didn't start experiencing symptoms of mental illness until my late teens, which have always been worsened by sources of stress and anxiety. I wasn't diagnosed BP until age 26, and have only had this diagnosis just shy of a year.

Hope this helps!

Islander

Islander

Hmmm was I different growing up? Good question -

I always felt different. Kinda grew up in my own little world,
when things were going bad I would go in my room and dream
of things being better. Felt like I was an outsider, as I got
older basically was involved in sports to gain acceptance by
my family as well as others. Think now that I know about
my illness and all the therapy I have had, I am better yeah
I mean stronger.

Islander

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tawny The first time you were manic Bipolar Forum 17
B Why were you hospitalised? Bipolar Forum 1
S If you had bipolar but you were un-diagnosed, how would antidepressants affect you? Bipolar Forum 36
Lincoln1990 What were your symptoms of bipolar? Bipolar Forum 4
A hi, i have been diagnosed wit bipolar, my father and grand father were also highly lkey to have suffered from the same. Bipolar Forum 7
M can friends who were once be best friends again?? Bipolar Forum 8
rasselas.redux I wouldn't if I were you. And that's inadviseable. And you might reconsider that too. Bipolar Forum 102
C I thought meds were supposed to help Bipolar Forum 22
N Meds were working great, life hit the fan, doctor gave me more meds that gave me awful side effects, not sure what to do Bipolar Forum 2
fontana When were you diagnosed with bipolar? But, how long have you been bipolar? Bipolar Forum 22
MillGuard I need to find a different job and my experience varies Bipolar Forum 2
starfoxxy90 So many different meds..over 20 years .. Bipolar Forum 1
S Has anyone ever changed from lithium to a different mood stabiliser? Bipolar Forum 14
T Different manufacturer ... drug doesn’t work now. Bipolar Forum 10
B Seroquel to different medicine? Or more meds to help? Bipolar Forum 2
Jess96 Poem read from top to bottom and the bottom to top this is a good poem of looking at situations from different view Bipolar Forum 12
P Acting different around certin people Bipolar Forum 4
H Some different perspectives on my bipolar (ex) partner Bipolar Forum 4
B Given a different diagnosis today - I'm gutted, scared and didn't see it coming :( Bipolar Forum 28
IronicFlower Bipolar or just different? Bipolar Forum 11
T same shit, different day, month, year Bipolar Forum 5
T If your life was different Bipolar Forum 5
megirl different types of abuse... Bipolar Forum 6
D any1 give me bit advice on trying different meds please Bipolar Forum 8
Fluffymum would it be different Bipolar Forum 9
I Stephen Fry is growing on me. Bipolar Forum 6
M Growing old and euthanasia Bipolar Forum 7
T Growing depression Bipolar Forum 7