• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Well had my first therapy session today.

Jimny

Jimny

As per the title really. I went for my first therapy session today, more of an assesment but all of this stuff just kept coming out!
I was so apprehensive and anxious this morning and throughout the day. I feel relief of finally being able to speak to somebody who does not have their own agenda (I hope).
The therapist was very nice and I felt at ease and very supported, it also felt good from a validation point of view? The therapist seemed to recognise many aspects of my story and help link parts together.
I will see them every week now, I'm pleased so far as many people seem to not be connected to their therapist from what I have read.
Well things can only get better (I hope) the therapist mentioned this will be a bit of a roller coaster of emotions. I feel I am ready.

Now I have to try ( or try not) to prepare myself for tomorrow, a funeral.
Does anybody have any tips as I am still pretty vulnerable emotionally, psychologically?

Last edited:
W

Waverunner

Well done on the therapy. Regarding the funeral, I find what has helped me in the past was not to actually listen to the eulogy or bits I might find hard (i.e. Like stories about the person)

Jimny

Jimny

Thank you, the therapist told me just coming there was very brave. I guess they were right, quite difficult to comprehend. I know I need to do this, I just hope it is what I need.

Jimny

Jimny

i know exactly what you mean, I have to look after me whilst being conscientious that it's not about me.
Not entirely sure how to put not listening in to practise.

W

Waverunner

For me, I let the words merge together so it's more like noise than words. That's one way. The other is to think about something else - a conversation with a friend, an activity I enjoyed or a safe place that calms me (the sea is good for me, I like water)

Jimny

Jimny

Brilliant, good tips. Hard but something to try and put in to practise. I need to be there and dont want my issues to get in the way.

W

Waverunner

I really hope it helps

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm glad that your meeting with the therapist went well and you've got a good impression overall. Hopefully this therapist will be right for you and it sounds like you're ready to talk, which is great.
I've only ever been to one funeral before, to be honest I don't know much about the etiquette etc. but I just wanted to wish you luck.
Be gentle with yourself. :hug1:

W

Waverunner

How did the funeral go Jimny?

Jimny

Jimny

Hi, just back. Thank you so much for your concern, that's the wonderful thing about this site. Support is invaluable.
Well it all went out of the window, I listened and felt everything. I just could not help it, such a special person it's so strange how it can seem the full value of a person can be measured at their funeral.
To me a very special uncle, to his family a hard working father, to his work coleagues a role model, to his church a devoted member. But to all an immaculately presented man who commanded respect, and returned the same.
I couldn't help but cry, poetry and eulogies but I am so glad I went as it was more a celebration of his life.

W

Waverunner

Sounds like it went ok. At the end of the day, it is ok to feel and cry - it's always about what's best for you. Anyway, be good to yourself for a while as you may feel those emotions for a little while.