• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Welcome

D

Dollit

Welcome to the Bristol Mental Health Forum. This is an exciting place to be right now - this is a dynamic forum with warm & friendly users who offer support, information, help and a friendly word just when you need it! I'm glad to be here and I hope you will too! :welcome:

irishmam

irishmam

Founding Member
Hi Dollit

Hi Dollit,

Thought I would come and join you!!
I am not really from Bristol but it is not far and I thought you might be lonely here on your own!

xx:tea:

D

Dollit

So whereabouts are you then Irishmam? I try to get out and about quite a lot to be honest. I get a bit fed up with the city. My favourite is to get on the train and go down to Weston for the day when it's really cold. No one about much and the mud flats to yourself. Thanks for coming to see me! :hug: xx

M

maudikie

Bristol U.K.

I blelieve that Britol is the H.Q of the South West Health Authority.
I used to live in Cornwall and they were badly served in mentla health provsion. This was particularly demonstrated by the poor conditions in one of their Mental Health Homes. I believe that much of the monies which should have gone to mental Illness was diverted to Treliske Hospital. The Hosptal in Bodin was excellent, but because of the widely rura area it was difficult to start local groups, and the work in the county was mainly seasonal, so this brought great difficulty in obtining employment. Aso there was a super aftercare workshop called Pentreath Industries. It catered for many people with mental health problems and a variety of traiing. But this was run on a bequest by a Dolly Pentreatn, and when this ran out the place closed. I t had no Government or NHS financial support. Then when the minimum wage was introduced they had to reduce the number of hours worked in order to save the patients from having their Benefits cut.
although treatments are now better the illness is not cured, but merely "contained" as is diabetes and other illnesses. But mental illness is regarded as something apart. Until this is put right mental illness will always be at the bottom of the pile.

D

Dollit

I don't know whether or not Bristol is the "HQ" for the South West Health Authority but the issues you raised are actually about Cornwall the responsibility of which is actually with the Primary Care Trust. Can't really help you on this one - maybe someone who actually lives or works in Cornwall could help - Bristol is actually a long way from Cornwall! Perhaps you should take up your concerns with the PCT or SWHA?

irishmam

irishmam

Founding Member
Hi

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have had a tough few days! You know how it is!. I am in Bridgwater, so only a bit down the M5!!!
I agree with you about Weston, a nice long walk to blow away the cobwebs and spending all my 2p's in the pier arcade!!!

Hope things are ok with you?

:tea:

x

D

Dollit

I'm well, if tired. I've been busy this week writing a report - I seem to spend my whole life either writing or reading reports! I don't know Bridgwater that well but I do know the most important place and that is the Harley dealership, Riders of Bridgwater on Wylds Road! I can quite easily spend whole days in there and I know quite a few people who work there so it's a little bit of heaven for me! :hug:

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Thought I'd fly by and wave at Brissle!

I'm about two hours from Bristol. I remember driving round the ring road in Bristol at least ten times looking for the train station, it's a b*gg*r to navigate.

Gonna b in Bristol very soon, to see The Feeling!

D

Dollit

Worst traffic system in the country in Bristol. The traffic department at the council have coned of a section of a street near me for necessary repairs. I've told them countless times (and been backed up by some pretty big voices) that if they took the 250+ unnecessary buses per week out of the street then the infrastructure of the road would need less work and the road they'd be diverted down is an A road and can cope with the extra traffic. Do they listen. Do they hell. Meanwhile all the kids are out on the cheap cider tonight and taking the cones home. Where are the Feeling on then - Colston Hall or Ashton Gate? (y)

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
The Bristol Academy. I haven't a foggiest where that is but my cousin, who accompanies me to all their gigs, used to live in Bristol and knows her way around. I'll be driving tho' so we are planning on setting off...well let's just say we are giving ourselves plenty leeway.

Councils don't have a bloody clue do they! I have never dealt with one that has got anything right yet. Men in suits, women in offices, they rarely seem to be in touch with reality.

D

Dollit

We've got a manager from the Highways dept at the council coming to see the road with the Traffic Manager from the police but they're not consulting those of us who see the problems daily, me, the beat managers, the traders, the bus company. Well integrated society we live in.

The Academy is just off centre - next door to the ice rink if you fancy a skate before you go. :D

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
:LOL: I shall be too busy standing at the front of the queue!

Councils are fantastic at employing obscure organisations (usually brothers, mates etc) for enormously expensive feasability studies and the like, but rarely remember the very people they are working for.

irishmam

irishmam

Founding Member
Hi

Just wanted to say Hi Dollit and hope things are ok for you.

Went past the Harley dealership the other day and thought of you!!!

I don't really know anything about motorbikes though!!!

:):)

D

Dollit

Wow - it's nice going past there though, all those bikes outside waiting to be set free on the roads! :D

M

maudikie

Dollit.

They are patching up ourroad, and they have left ramps that are about 3 inches high and low) The signs they put up are right by the ramps. so one has no forewarning. I could be dangerous for cars, but even more so for motor cyclists who often speed downthis road to rallies. I wish they would teach common sense an well as the three R's.:mad: