Welcome

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
A very warm welcome to the Local Forum for Birmingham.

I will say a little bit about myself : I am 51, live in Stockland Green (Erdington) and have been a depressive for well over 20 years.

My hope for this Forum is that it can be a place for everyone from Birmingham to meet and share our experiences of what is happening on the 'Mental Health Scene' in our fair city. I am fairly new to campaigning and getting involved in activism, so would be delighted to listen to those with more experience and knowledge than me. I hope that those who wish to become more inolved will consider becoming co-moderators.

I do want to stress that I am NOT employed by anyone ; the only position I hold, very informally and quite unpaid!, is a co-chair of the BSMHLDLTNO (see abbreviations!) - I am a member of some of the other groups by virtue of the fact that I attend them :) - but I don't speak FOR them in any sense at all.

I have decided at the outset to start a number of separate threads relating to the various groups of which I am aware, even though these groups interact to some extent. And one thing I can say for certain is that we do have a lot of activity in Birmingham! I will try and explain as best I can what each group is and what it does - but please don't take my word as gospel as I am still new, and it has taken me 9 months to start to get my head round it. In fact I wish I had had this forum 9 months ago! So I will be sort of writing to my ignorant self :D.

Once again welcome to the Birmingham Forum. I hope that it is useful, informative, occasionally entertaining, and that maybe we can do some good as well.

Nick.

Last edited:
B

baba yaga

Founding Member
hello to nickh and the forum

Hello all

I am female, living in Birmingham, have used mental health services off and on for years, also currently working for a mental health organisation. I have wanted to be in contact with an online forum for a while now.

I can't see any postings that are not from nickh, does that mean i am looking in the wrong place or that nobody is responding yet?

If the latter, do not despair, I can get the word out to quite a few people who might want to get involved in this. It's possible people just aren't looking in the right place yet.

Will respond to other postings in detail later on

b y

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi and :welcome: baba yaga, i'm sure Nickh will be pleased you've joined him :)

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Nick, I previously commented on one of your earlier threads regarding the Erdington Depression Group meeting at the Library on Wednesdays - I found that group very helpful altho' it was quite a way for me to get to.

Keep up the good work :)

D

Dollit

Hi Baba Yaga - this is just a section local to Birmingham, if you go in the main forum you'll find lots of other people. The forum is still fairly new so the local sections are still being built up. Come over and say hello!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hello all
I am female, living in Birmingham, have used mental health services off and on for years, also currently working for a mental health organisation. I have wanted to be in contact with an online forum for a while now.
I can't see any postings that are not from nickh, does that mean i am looking in the wrong place or that nobody is responding yet?
If the latter, do not despair, I can get the word out to quite a few people who might want to get involved in this. It's possible people just aren't looking in the right place yet.
Will respond to other postings in detail later on
b y
Hi baba yaga and :welcome: You are certainly not looking in the wrong place. As Dollit said all the local forums (well the whole forum actually) are in their very early stages and this one hasn't really started to get going yet.

I haven't done much about publicity yet; we are planning on producing posters/flyers at some point, and also maybe doing some media stuff. But any help will be very, very warmly received :D.

I think I will start a separate thread on publicity so we can discuss any ideas there, but if you want to contact me off-forum that would be fine too.

Once again welcome.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi Nick, I previously commented on one of your earlier threads regarding the Erdington Depression Group meeting at the Library on Wednesdays - I found that group very helpful altho' it was quite a way for me to get to.

Keep up the good work :)
Hi Libra - yes sorry I did pass on your good wishes to Jo and Paul at the last meeting and they say hi and return the good wishes :).

Nick.

B

baba yaga

Founding Member
no title

i posted a couple of days ago but there is no sign of it, what happened? b y

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
i posted a couple of days ago but there is no sign of it, what happened? b y
b y I don't know :confused:. Your first post appeared here fine - was the one you are talking about a follow-up? or were you posting to another section? I haven't heard about any problems with posts appearing but I am no expert :).

If you have any more problems feel free to contact me off-forum (you can click on my nick and an option to send a private message should appear).

Nick.

D

Dollit

If anyone has trouble with posts not appearing then Connect or Mischief are the best people to contact. They're two of our administrators. :)

B

baba yaga

Founding Member
b y I don't know :confused:. Your first post appeared here fine - was the one you are talking about a follow-up? or were you posting to another section? I haven't heard about any problems with posts appearing but I am no expert :).

If you have any more problems feel free to contact me off-forum (you can click on my nick and an option to send a private message should appear).

Nick.
thanks. this is weird. my post is there now, but was not there when i looked on saturday. but the ones that i posted on saturday came up straight away. never mind. i am glad to see that in the meantime one or two more people have got in touch

b.y.

B

baba yaga

Founding Member
re welcome

Hi Dollit

It isn't really that I need to find more people - it's more about local involvement. I was just a bit concerned that nick might be feeling that he was all alone out there - this is birmingham and things can be very slow to get started. Since then a couple of other people have posted so clearly we are no longer lost in cyperspace. Which is great!

b.y.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi again b.y. :)

Sorry I have been out of it for 48 hours - a bad patch. As we've said before it will take some time for this to build up so I don't think we need to worry too much about the comparative quiet at the moment.

Will try and catch up with a couple of local things now.

Nick.

C

claire2012

Im new here so thought id say hello to everyone. I also live in Birmingham :)