• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Welcome

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Welcome fellow Nottinghamanions.:welcome:

I am very happy that we now have our own forum and can talk about issues affecting us locally.:grouphug:
So whats in the news?
Mental health issues feature in the case of a young mum who had her baby taken away here in Nottingham and I am not going to tell you all the details because I only know what you can read in the newspapers yourself. However the lastest I heard was that the baby is being taken into foster care until the future can be decided.
This story might affect some of you. You may know what it is like to have children and be parted from them due to illness. This might have been temporary or it could be permeanant. Sorry if this does affect you because it is heavy going. Fathers can suffer the abscense of children due to ill health and marital breakdown - as much as Mums surely because ( until medical science makes its final breakthough) all babies require one of each.

So to conclude I want to tell you about PATCH. This is a new self help group which has formed in Nottingham for Parents Apart from Their CHildren. The group presently meets at Ormiston House and the next meeting date is soon to be anounced after a mini meeting there this coming Wednesday 6th Feb at 1-3 pm. If you want to go it would help if you ring Nottingham Self help on 9111661 mornings Mon-Fri or you could contact the co-odinator of this group by email on [email protected] to introduce yourself a little.:)

So far this group is small and under develpment but the aim is to help eleviate the social issolation experienced by so many parents deprived of their children. Some fo you may have experience of being the parentally deprived child ( brought up in care) and I would like to know about your perspective too. PATCH is only for only for parents but all too often that parent was themself a child in care.

Please feel free to respond or open up a separate thread.:clap:

Last edited:
W

Windblows

Founding Member
Bad news

Mother loses fight to keep baby. A baby taken from his 18-year-old mother after he was born must live in local authority foster care while further inquiries are made and assessments carried out, a district judge ruled today 01/02/2008 More information at: http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/information/news/?EntryId=53465&p=1

I say this is bad news because a baby needs its mother particullarly at this early stage of life. How can they say they are working in the babies best interests? The poor childs mental health could be affected for no good reason. The mother must feel distressed and the bonding process is being made needlessly difficult. Social care is meant to be enhancing to peoples prospects and progress - isn't it?:mad:

Can anyone offer any perspectives on this? Were you adopted? Separated from you parents as a child for any length of time? Do you know someone who has had their life affected by unhelpful intervention?

Sorry, everyone, that this subject has occured under the Welcome header. This is an issue which affects me.:(

Last edited: