• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

WELCOME To the Bournemouth Local Forum

A

Apotheosis

Welcome to the local Bournemouth Mental Health Forum :)

Please feel welcome & free to post here about your experiences, your hopes, your fears, in fact anything you feel comfortable sharing. How is your experience of Bournemouth MH services? & do you enjoy living in this area? What locally could be done to improve things?

This is a friendly place, with many people who can offer support & advice.

I look forward to chatting with you. :welcome: :)

T

Twylight

Yo, I live in Plymouth, But I worked in Bournemouth for four years.
I have fond memories of the Area, Hampshire/Dorset as it was a few years before I became unwell

A

Apotheosis

Yo, I live in Plymouth, But I worked in Bournemouth for four years.
I have fond memories of the Area, Hampshire/Dorset as it was a few years before I became unwell
I have a very old good school friend that works in council management in Plymouth.

Yes the Boundaries for Hampshire used to run to Poole, then they changed them, bringing the border back to Highcliffe. Hampshire used to be the biggest county, dunno if it is now.

It is OK round here, as places go, but really, if circumstances were different, then I would leave the country.

T

Twylight

You've sparked off some memories
i remember installing an alarm in a Christchurch school on a saturday
On this particular week end, Bobby Moore and David Webb ( Chelsea ), were running a summer football tuition school - I was feet away from them both - this was 1981

A

Apotheosis

You've sparked off some memories
i remember installing an alarm in a Christchurch school on a saturday
On this particular week end, Bobby Moore and David Webb ( Chelsea ), were running a summer football tuition school - I was feet away from them both - this was 1981
Cool. The eighties - a strange decade. I was 8 in '81'. I have to say that I have never shared the majority of peoples fascination of football, it bores the hell out of me. I have even stopped watching the World Cup, & I also avoided watching any of the Olympics this time round, which I was pleased about. lol. I'd like all football pitches & stadiums planted with trees & plants & turned into nature reserves, green areas in cities.

In fact, I am more interested in what kind of alarm system you were fitting & how technology has progressed.

Christchurch is a nice area, it's pleasant, especially round near the harbour & the church. It's good to go & see the swans, which I do if I'm there.

T

Twylight

It was wired fire and intruder alarms - door contacts, passive infra red detectors - personal attack systems

The skill was hiding the wires - in cavity walls, roof spaces- lots of drilling

Nowadays it's more high tech with wireless radio links

T

Twylight

Have you heard of Ron Grover at Fritham house ( stamp dealer ) I was with Wessex Alarms - massive wiring nightmare

A

Apotheosis

Interesting - Everything appears to be going wireless. Wireless power next, which Nikola Tesla could have given us a very long time ago & implemented it nationally, but that wouldn't have been able to have been charged & made money out of properly, so we have to wait almost a hundred years & suffice with little wireless power devices. Why is such a great man such as Tesla hardly ever mentioned? Thomas Edison was virtually a cretin compared to Tesla & yet Edison gets all the Glory. Go figure?

Personally with network connections, I cannot see how wireless compares to wired; in relation to speed & security, & why so many have embraced it within the home. I'm not bothered about using a laptop while I'm sat on the toilet or on top of the roof, it's not a hardship to me to sit in one place when I'm on-line, & I don't have to sacrifice a good connection for temperamental connection, expense, limited security & more EMF radiation.
Of Course there are advantages to wireless in certain situations & applications, the home I can't see as really being one of them.

I'm waiting for the time when people start growing tumours the size of melons out the side of their heads; in a decade or two, & then the government can tell us all that maybe living in an electro magnetic soup wasn't such a great idea after all. :drool:

Last edited:
T

Twylight

Yes, it's like the wind powered turbines

Michael faraday invented the motor and generator over a hundred years ago

what took them so long

A

Apotheosis

Have you heard of Ron Grover at Fritham house ( stamp dealer ) I was with Wessex Alarms - massive wiring nightmare
It rings a slight bell, but no, I'm not familiar with them. basic wiring I can get along with; but I can imagine some of the spaghetti's you have had to deal with. :scared:

A

Apotheosis

what took them so long
Milking every last penny out of every last resource, & every last person (except themselves) that "they" can, & then when the last drop of oil is extracted; wheeling out the next way to cash in whatever system they have deemed will make them the most money.

T

Twylight

i think Wessex Alarms was taken over by another company

There might be a few bell boxes still around - there was a picture of a cat on the box

A

Apotheosis

i think Wessex Alarms was taken over by another company

There might be a few bell boxes still around - there was a picture of a cat on the box
Wessex fire & security it is now called (Google).

Hmmm, yes a cat on the box sounds familiar & maybe I have seen. It is surprising how we look but don't see; with so many things, unless we are looking for something specific. I expect now I will see them everywhere.

T

Twylight

Another claim to fame ?

I spent a couple of years working for Dorset Lift Services

There was a block of flats where we used to maintain the lifts in Sandbanks - across the road was a bungalow once owned by Roger Moore.

A

Apotheosis

I spent a couple of years working for Dorset Lift Services

There was a block of flats where we used to maintain the lifts in Sandbanks - across the road was a bungalow once owned by Roger Moore.
Yes, there are still a few famous people who live there & frequent Sandbanks. The beach is good there, it's a nice area too, I like to watch the sun go down over the bay. & of course there is the infamous "St Anne's" - The local loony bin, which is situated on the Cliff, in very picturesque surroundings, in an interesting Victorian building. I have visited a few times, but not as a patient, I used to end up in The Old Manor; in Salisbury, but they have changed the name of that place now, after extensive building works & changes.