• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Weird, very short panic attacks

S

Secornie

Hi there,
I am new here and I hope I am posting this in the correct category.
So recently I have been getting really weird and short panic attack like symptoms. They get triggered by seeing big numbers in a specific context. As an example, I just scrolled through my YouTube recommended page and saw a video that was titled someting like "27000 reasons to [dont remember the rest]". Seeing that then makes me think like how big that is, how long it would take to actually list that many reasons etc. I then get a really short burst of something that feels very similar to a panic attack. Then I realize that I'm having a weird panic attack and just kinda snap out of it by instinctively taking a huge and loud breath in through my mouth. Then the panic attack is pretty much gone, I am just a little confused after.
Apart from that I usually only get panic attacks when I am sick, mostly when I am having a fever. They are usually very sudden in the middle of the night.
I am aware that this forum isn't a substitute to seeking professional help, but I just wanted to see if maybe this is common for people with an anxiety/panic disorder. Your help and advice is very appreciated :).

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Try googling calming breathing exercises, this will help when your having a panic attack.
Therapy might help you like CBT cognitive behavioural therapy, hope they stop really soon for you.
Do let us know how you are.
Take care

Last edited:
K

kvolm2016

Hello and welcome! Sorry that you are having this new experience. It can definitely be a bit scary and also frustrating to discover a new trigger. Great to hear that you already instinctively know how to use your breathing as a control mechanism. Do you feel like there is any underlying stress or something causing anxiety in your daily life right now, something that might cause a new trigger to surface?