• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

weird unwanted cures for social anxiety

N

NrLondonGuy

Just thought I woudl post this cos I was talking to a friend today who used to be really shy and she said te same thing. I used to suffer from SA / shyness really severly. started in teens where I just couldn't start conversations with people joining group of friends. COUldn't talk to new people but could talk with friends. Went to Univ wihchwas a disarster. Anyway was anightmare where my SA was so bad I coudl not even sqeek. Dropped out and got a bit better but was still shy and HAD SA at new uni where foudn it hard to make friends even thoguh I wanted to.

Anway SA was always a problem even though I did not seek help and still don't kow how it works etc. Meaning to read a good CBT about it sometime. Anyways after 2004 started suffering from sever OCD and without realising it my OCD became so bad (I was suicidal for years) and my mind was so preoccupied with biiger problems (not the severe SA is not a big problem) that without even realising I just stopped caring what other people think of me not even on purpose. Worrying what other poeple think I undertsand can be a major fuel for SA. Anyway I suddenly realised that was was less anxious in social situation not that I even cared cos my OCD was so big a problem in my mind. I have been thorugh hell recently for last 6 motnsh with OCD and was thinking other day that its weird cos now I am not afraid of people at all and appear to have no SA at all. I suddently am actually really chatty and chat to people al over teh place. I realised that it was cos my problems with OCD were so big in life that without even realsiing it I stopped caring what the world think of me and this seems to have got rid of my SA without even thinking of it.

I was talking to a friedn who was alos quite shy as Uni and foudn it hard to make friends and she now suffers from chronic ME and she said cos her ME was so bad along the way she stopped caring about what others think of her and nowis no longer shy. (Shes really chatty now actually).

Anyway - some strange things gon one there. Just wondered if anyone had same experince. I really did have SA bad. I mean I just could not talk to poeple and it was a nightmare but got cured by my OCD????

N

NrLondonGuy

sorry bit of stupid thread and hope its not insensative to anyone. I know SA can be a nightmare having had it bad in past. Can't figure out a way to delete this thread.

C

crazygal78

I don't think your thread is stupid at all.I think I know exactly what you mean.I used to really freak out when forced to talk to strangers.
Now I'm so depressed I just don't care about being accepted by people anymore.I gave up worrying about whether they like me or find me stupid or not.Generally,I'm now finding I don't really tend to like most people anyways,so why care what they think about me?
I think perhaps our disorders can change as we get older and they can manifest into other things.
I would say I used to have the Avoidant personality disorder,which is someone who avoids people but still longs to be accepted.
But I feel I have changed into a Schizotypal disorder (doesn't desire relationships or acceptance) or paranoid one,because I just don't really trust anyone.
Are you on treatment for your OCD?

S

starfish

SA

thanks for posting, it will make me think.could it be that your OCD distracted you away from your SA. good luck with your studies, and social life.!:)

C

coraline1664

-

My social anxiety has vanished a few times... once for a period of about six months but then it came back.