Weird pyshotic episode resolved without meds.

DAXXIE

DAXXIE

Good afternoon everyone..newbie to this forum but so glad I found it.
I suffered a severe (and we are REALLY talking about severe)psychotic break back in the spring. It was the first time ever and I have never had another episode.
Without warning I was first hearing voices in my pillow when I went to bed. This quickly escalated to hearing voices away from the pillow. I became convinced that there were implants in my ears. The voices were hard to make out but they seemed to keep repeating my name over and over again. More into my psychotic state, I went to the local hospital and demanded that they take the implants out (the voices were now screaming "NO")!!!
Naturally I was seen by the Pych Doctors and had a long talk with them. I was convinced that there were a group of people that I know that were participating in victimization (using the dark web) and became paranoid to the point where I went to the police.
I remember putting my ear to the computer and was shocked to learn that there was a hit put out on me (crazy....right???). I actually thought that I would be shot. That's when I went to the police.
Things got worse. I was up all night and "saw" my tormentors walking down my stairs in order to trash my apartment. Now...here's an important point...I never saw their faces but nearly called 911 (which I maybe should have done so that I could be taken to the hospital for treatment).
Of course there were other hallucinations and delusions which terrified me. Sleep was no longer an option. I don't remember looking after my 2 dogs. I don't know what were dreams and what weren't
OMG!! I hear you say. Sooo what happened.
Well here is the strange think. I was lying on my couch and quite suddenly it slowly occurred to me that things were not as I thought they were. I took careful inventory and realized that I had, indeed been 'insane'. Nothing that was my reality at the time of the incident could be explained.
I do NOT take drugs. I have not recently have a child. I am not Bi-Polar, I was simply under unimaginable stress at the time. I was taking an anti-depressant which was new to the market so I began to think that that was the culprit. The docs chalked it up as a reaction to the med. The memories are still with me and scare the daylights out of me as I am so scared that this may happen again.
Has anyone else ever experienced a brief psychotic episode for some unexplained reason because I know that the medical community doesn't have any answers.
If you've got this far....thank you for listening.
If anyone else has had a similar experience, I would be grateful to hear it.

Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

Welcome here, Daxxie. That sounds like quite the experience!

What antidepressant were you taking, if you don't mind me asking?

DAXXIE

DAXXIE

I was taking a Anti-depressant called Trintilex
Thank you for the welcome :)

Last edited:
Prairie Sky

Prairie Sky

Interesting. I haven't heard of it before but it looks like a fairly normal SSRI.

Taking too high a dose of SSRI's or too many, can cause "serotonin toxicity." I believe one symptom is hallucinations.

DAXXIE

DAXXIE

Thanks P. Sky but I assure you that I took it as prescribed. At the time I had just left my SO and he took everything from me. I was left on my own...no family, no money, no job....complete mehem.
Could this have bee a contribute as well because I found myself hopeless,scared and without a way out. The stress was enormous.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I've heard that huge amounts of stress can cause a psychotic break. I know that stress can make psychotic symptoms worse in people who already have schizophrenia. It definitely does for me.

I used to be diagnosed with major depression with psychosis and I took an antidepressant. The psychotic symptoms got worse over the years and the depression remained even though I tried many different antidepressants and antipsychotics. Finally one year, one of my doctors said that antidepressants have been known in some cases to make psychosis worse, so we tried dropping the antidepressant. Amazingly, and paradoxically, almost all my depression went away, and also the voices I heard got quieter and less often. Now I have just schizophrenia, with no depression.

Last edited:
M

mufasaa

I had this experience where after I was sent from the psychiatric ward. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw an ex-coworkers face instead of mine. When I first started hearing voices my behavior was normal and I simply ignored them. However, when I came home to my home country that was where the voices started aggravating and it only took a week to send me to a psych ward. I didn't feel afraid then but after I was released and to this day I am going through this personal conflict. I sometimes think that it was a paranormal event.

DAXXIE

DAXXIE

Hi musafaa,
We may all have own own interpretations as to what caused the 'event'. For me...I am constantly searching and researching because of the isolated incident. Stress may have been a factor in my case but the Journals that I have read discount that unless it's Bi-Polar, Post-Postpartum or Schizophrenia (none of which are in my history)
The hallucinations and delirium that I experienced could certainly be put down to the paranormal but I am a woman of science...so that explanation doesn't quite gell with me.
What I find fascinating is the power of the brain to produce in us an altered state of reality.
I am on no medications at all except for Mirapex (restless leg symdrone) which actually can cause a pyschotic state. But I've been taking it as prescribed for years.

Last edited:
DAXXIE

DAXXIE

Hi bourdreaj4:
Thank you for your reply. I've been off the ant-depressants for at least 6 months and have never felt better!
Never went the way of anti-psychotics. When I dug deep into the possible side effects of anti-depressants, they seemed to be doing more than good.

Kerome

Kerome

My psychotic episode was entirely caused by stress, I had no history of psychiatric medication or street drugs. So that’s a possibility as well.