• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Weird phobia shared by me and my sisters

S

Stevencc

Me and my two younger sisters share a strange fear of honeycomb or beehives, or anything with evenly spaced holes that are created naturally. For example a fence with holes in it is no problem. It has to be something with an element of "life" to it.

I must add that this fear doesn't detract from our quality of life in anyway, we just avoid things like it, as it makes us feel a little scared and sick.

Can anyone shed some light on this fear or its possible reasons?

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
i always thought that phobias were caused by traumatic experiences at very young ages so maybe you and your sister had something very scary involving a beehive (i can see how that could happen) when you were younger, also i've heard that sometimes phobias are passed on from parents by learning an unreasonable response as appropriate so maybe you developed the phobia and passed it onto your sister. I'm not an expert or anything i was just making a few suggestions.

S

Stevencc

Yeah, thats what I thought. But I can't think of any event in my past that triggered this fear and neither can my sisters.

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
long shots but maybe it was before conscious memories (i don't know the sort of age gap between you and your sisters so that might seem silly) or maybe it became a repressed memory (maybe just of one of you that then shared the phobia accidentally) i know these are unlikely but i'm out of ideas, sorry i haven't been any help :)

S

Stevencc

long shots but maybe it was before conscious memories (i don't know the sort of age gap between you and your sisters so that might seem silly) or maybe it became a repressed memory (maybe just of one of you that then shared the phobia accidentally) i know these are unlikely but i'm out of ideas, sorry i haven't been any help :)
Actually I think you make a very good point there, not stupid at all.

The only problem that arises with that is that I'll never understand the phobia, but it doesn't affect my everyday life so I'm ok with that.

I'm still kinda curious!