Weird Panic Attacks

N

NeonGreen

Hey there,

So I have been experiencing this "attacks" since I have been a kid and kinda learned to control them and calm myself down, but never actually consulted anyone about them.
It would be really interesting to know what these are and also the causes.
My first guess was a sensory overload, but that is mostly caused by stress, right?
Well, that's not really the case for me.

Now, the attacks. They mostly happen randomly. Nothing stressful has/is/was happening, but rather when I see/hear something that's out of place. If I see something that seems really weird at first glance and my mind can't make anything out of it and starts questioning it, I shift into this phase.
But that's not always the case, just the most common thing I realise is happening before it starts.

Symptoms:
I get really sensitive to sound and sight.
Mostly to sound. Every single thing I hear/see seems to be happening too fast. Annoyingly/irritatingly fast.
This is accompanied by a... Tension... Fear of some sorts. Imagine the moment someone swings a hammer at your stomach. That feeling you get while the hammer is moving towards you and you can't do anything. Not the impact, just the swing.
That feeling, but it's constant.
Replace the hammer with sound and that's how I feel.
That's the best way I can describe it.

Everything is at the same time annoying and triggers this feeling (the example with the hammer) inside me.
The way I breathe, the way I hear my heart pound, the way my family is going on with they daily life.

I can provide more detail if you have specific questions, but nothing important comes to my mind at this moment.

I hope it's a simple sensory overload, and I don't have to be too concerned.
Do you think it's something serious and I should see a doctor?
I am open for any idea, suggestion!
Thanks!

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

If you go to a doctor, they will prescribe you pills. You get pills when you go to a doctor, whether you need them or not. Then you get addicted to the pills so the doctor can have repeat business.

tragicpink

tragicpink

not necessarily true. true of psychiatrists sure. but if you speak to your family doctor or a psychologist the results will vary. you might be able to get some resources to help you out.

I

iangpark

I have experienced a couple of these in the past two weeks - you describe it very well. I only experienced them for a few seconds at a time but they were unbelievably intense; I became totally immobilised. I would recommend a GP visit if they have occurred for so long.

N

NeonGreen

You've been having these attacks since you were a kid so they are obviously not a danger to you, you've survived all this time.
True, but I would still like to know what these are.
For example the causes o other sympthoms I didn´t notice yet.
It´s not like I live in constant fear of when I am going to experience another one, but I would still like to be informed about it.

D

Duffer1976

My 7 year old gets like this. He has sensory processing disorder. It may well be what you have thought yourself, sensory overload. Defo speak to your doctor 😊 xxx