• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Weird habits associated with mental illness?

O

oncebitten

I was just thinking about it and I have a few habits that I wasn't "taught" but somehow I picked them up. I can honestly say I think that a couple of them are associated with mental illness/anxiety. What are your thoughts?

sam999

sam999

yes habits like nail biting etc are often connected with selfharm and mental illnesses that cause self harm

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

I've noticed some habits. Avoiding noise is a big one for me. I use to crank up the tunes and whatever, but not now. If I am cooking I now do my best to not clang the pots and pans. If I watch a movie I only keep the volume loud enough to hear. A few years ago I wouldn't have had a care in the world how much noise I made. If I did clang the pots and pans or turned up the t.v I probably wouldn't get anxiety but the thought of it has me walking on egg shells. But I don't enjoy the habit of stressing about noise.

J

jsmacks

I had some quirky habits as a kid. One of the ones I was teased about was licking my hands. I did that around 10 years old. People did find it weird. Thing was I did it because dry hands irritated me.

I stopped it by using lotion. To this day I carry a travel bottle of lotion with me wherever I go.

I was called crazy but it might have been because the several quirky habits I had.

T

Tombomb

What bunching shaking hands while the whole class notices lol