• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Weird coincidences? Please respond.

W

worrywart_

Currently having an issue with the fact that a crime apparently took place in my town when I was struggling with Harm OCD the most. To make matters worse, a couple years ago I dealt with obsessing over a false memory of committing a crime (but I’ve never been able to tell if it was real or not).

I’ve checked my social media activity from the period of time when this crime was committed, and it has a weird gap unlike the surrounding months. I’m so worried and horrified.

So my question is, has anybody else struggled with weird coincidences like this? Should I be worried or just write it off?

A

ASWER

Former member
Just write it off, I've had experience's of similar dynamics and it got weirder as it went along as people started to insist very subtly upon it.

This can be classified as gaslighting.

T E_90

T E_90

Currently having an issue with the fact that a crime apparently took place in my town when I was struggling with Harm OCD the most. To make matters worse, a couple years ago I dealt with obsessing over a false memory of committing a crime (but I’ve never been able to tell if it was real or not).

I’ve checked my social media activity from the period of time when this crime was committed, and it has a weird gap unlike the surrounding months. I’m so worried and horrified.

So my question is, has anybody else struggled with weird coincidences like this? Should I be worried or just write it off?

Hi,
I've never had your feeling of killing someone and then forgetting.
I know of similar cases (pleading insanity), but I don't think it's you and I think you could relax about the whole thing.
If you killed someone, you would probably have found clues in your home (such as misplaced objects, used or dirty weapons) and on yourself (scratches or bruises) and in addition, your family or friends (if you dont live alone) might have seen or otherwise noticed your absence or strange behavior. Maybe witnesses.

Do you remember what you saw in these flashbacks? Can you describe them?

In my opinion, it can be a (justified) feeling of fear due to odd coincidences.

W

worrywart_

Hi,
I've never had your feeling of killing someone and then forgetting.
I know of similar cases (pleading insanity), but I don't think it's you and I think you could relax about the whole thing.
If you killed someone, you would probably have found clues in your home (such as misplaced objects, used or dirty weapons) and on yourself (scratches or bruises) and in addition, your family or friends (if you dont live alone) might have seen or otherwise noticed your absence or strange behavior. Maybe witnesses.

Do you remember what you saw in these flashbacks? Can you describe them?

In my opinion, it can be a (justified) feeling of fear due to odd coincidences.
Typically, the flashbacks would occur after I had been obsessively trying to piece together what could’ve happened. I’d walk across my road to check the mail and boom, I’d have an intense “vision” of being somewhere else and remembering being there, but afterwards I don’t know what I just relived. I can’t piece together any details, and it’s just felt like glimpses.

I only noticed the odd coincidences this year after about 4 years of having gone through this, so I don’t think it was caused by that. As for everything else, yeah I get what you mean. It was initially labeled a suspicious death, but they later labeled it as no foul play. But the correlation and outliers in my social media just draws me in even more. I don’t want to have hurt anybody, and I pray that I had the strength to not have done it then either.

T E_90

T E_90

Typically, the flashbacks would occur after I had been obsessively trying to piece together what could’ve happened. I’d walk across my road to check the mail and boom, I’d have an intense “vision” of being somewhere else and remembering being there, but afterwards I don’t know what I just relived. I can’t piece together any details, and it’s just felt like glimpses.

I only noticed the odd coincidences this year after about 4 years of having gone through this, so I don’t think it was caused by that. As for everything else, yeah I get what you mean. It was initially labeled a suspicious death, but they later labeled it as no foul play. But the correlation and outliers in my social media just draws me in even more. I don’t want to have hurt anybody, and I pray that I had the strength to not have done it then either.

Your feel of guilt, feeling awful ,afraid and therefore meaning it's not in your nature to do harm, hypothetically could already be a sign that you did not commit the murder.
I say 'hypothetically', because nothing is certain obviously, but in my opinion I'm positive you're not guilty.

The fact remains that you have unexplainable flashbacks, which makes you feel bad because they confuse your brain and ideas.
Very uncomfortable.
If it ever happens again, maybe you could try to write them down as soon as they arrive, so you don't forget them, and later try to share them here,
In order to get some help with other views of things and relief some stress.