weight gain how to address it ?

S

suki1066

hello all, i havent posted for a while, DD has been put on olanzapine, carbomazapine and prozac and it has took 3 months or so to get to a leveling out period. At times she has struggled but persiveard and feels alot better and far better than she has ever felt. However she has gained 3 stone in weight, which in its self is ok at the mo, as she was so skinny before hand but she doesnt want to put any more. But she carnt stop eating, she has thourght about joining slimming world for some advise and some support does anyone have any experience x thanks jane

jax

jax

Olanzapine was terrible for me for the weight gain. I just ate and ate. The only advice I can give is to get exercise and try to eat healthy snacks instead of biscuits and crisps etc. It is possible to lose weigh while on these drugs. I have just shed 2 stone. I was with weight watchers but have quite now as I am so broke. WW is very good with lots of hints and it helps to be in a class and get weighed weekly. I try to walk as much as possible and stay away from junk food too.
Jacqui

guggy

guggy

As strange as it may seem, I am managing to lose weight while on olanzapine. People normally cite increased appetite as the primary cause for the weight gain, but that is only half the picture, as I am sure I did not start eating more while putting on weight because of this drug. It surely slows the metabolism a bit.

Nowadays, I eat fish and salads almost daily, leaving aside heavier meals. I am only half a stone away from my original weight since I started with the medication a year and some months ago. It can be done, whether it is through exercise or restraint in the diet, but it does involve a certain amount of sacrifice.

S

suki1066

thanks jac ill tell her, the snacking is non stop lol bless her.... on the plus side she likes herself now and she sure is alot nicer as a DD and a mum
hope your ok too xx

T

TOONAFISH

hiya i put on 2 stone with olanzapine just after having my daughter so was still a stone overweight. 3 years on and still 3 stone overweight due to pesky thyroid,. however have joined weight watchers again and im loosing slowly. would highly recomment ww compared to other diets as you can still have a drink, mcdonalds, chinese etc if you plan for it. it is hard putting on so much weight but it is poss to get it off. says me stuffing her face full of rubbish x