Weight Gain Confusion

S

Salboo

Please help I need some reassurance 🙁 I have been in recovery for about a year now and feel like I’m making a lot of progress as I am having regular ‘movements’ and actually feel hungry a lot of the time. However I have put on a substantial amount of weight during this time and I don’t know how much more I can take. I have tried researching online but have not been able to find anything that relates closely to my experience.
Basically I was restricting/purging and exercising excessively for about 2 years. I have never weighed myself but I went from a UK size ten to a UK size six. I strictly maintained this until one day I woke up and I had randomly gained weight (I was still in the depth of my restricting/purging/exercising so felt this was strange). The weight gain just continued even though I fought desperately against it. I upped my exercise further and stopped purging and settled on restricting. I only allowed myself to eat once a week. But still the weight piled on. I was so frustrated I decided to start eating again as my body was gaining weight whether I ate or not so just decided I might as well get something out of it. Now, after about a year of eating non restrictively, I have gained a huge amount of weight and am now in UK size 14 clothes. I am eating about the same as I did when I was a size 10... does anyone know what’s going on? I am determined to keep on eating as I now understand the error of my ways, but why am I so much larger and when will this stop? It’s making me so depressed. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any info would be great thanks.

M

Mary26

It's not uncommon to experience this kind of weight gain in recovery because it takes time to repair the metabolism. I gained quite a bit but eventually went back to my original size. However, you can always ask your doctor to do some blood work (for thyroid) if you're concerned.

S

Salboo

Thank u for your replies. I would kill for my pre ED body now! I’m just really struggling as I’ve never been this weight before. Every time I move my arm and I feel the fat wobble or I bend over and my cheeks hang I feel like crying. I’m not going to stop eating because I know eating is actually fixing this slowly. I know it’s different for everyone but can you tell me how long it took you to arrive at your pre ED body? I’ve heard about 2 years would you say that’s accurate? I think I’m probably triggered because I’ve just been on a beach holiday where I was sat in a swimsuit comparing myself to every single woman that walked past.
Thank you ❤

megirl

megirl

I have done the whole purging restricting behaviour not fitting into any eating disorder category, I have been not well lately lost a lot of weight, started looking a bit better I feel fat I know I'm not, just takes our bodies a while to distribute the weight accordingly, that's what I find anyway xx

M

Mary26

Thank u for your replies. I would kill for my pre ED body now! I’m just really struggling as I’ve never been this weight before. Every time I move my arm and I feel the fat wobble or I bend over and my cheeks hang I feel like crying. I’m not going to stop eating because I know eating is actually fixing this slowly. I know it’s different for everyone but can you tell me how long it took you to arrive at your pre ED body? I’ve heard about 2 years would you say that’s accurate? I think I’m probably triggered because I’ve just been on a beach holiday where I was sat in a swimsuit comparing myself to every single woman that walked past.
Thank you ❤
I can't answer that because i got pregnant right after recovery (a miracle!). But I understand how difficult it is. My ultimate goal in recovery was to have a baby so I was fine with the weight gain. What is your goal? Because that's what you need to focus on. (((hugs)))

L

Lunar Lady

Salboo, your weight will level out. After years of restricted calories, your body stores them as it expects the calories and energy to be taken away again. Don't try and diet - this just reinforces to your metabolism that lean times have come again and it needs to store. Keep your normal food intake going, and your weight will adjust back down :hug:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I know it’s probably not the case but have you thought about having your thyroid tested. If it’s under active you will gain weight whether you eat or not. Maybe have a chat with your GP to see what he says