• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Wearing masks in public helps?

Q

queerghost

I’ve noticed that with wearing masks in public my social anxiety has slightly improved as most of my face is covered up. It certainly isn’t a solution but I genuinely feel less anxious with it on. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, seems like some people find the mask helpful somehow.

anex

anex

Yeah! It makes sense. It’s like another level of protection of our inner experience. And a shield. You know how we get more comfortable putting our arms across us when we are frustrated or uncomfortable around someone? It’s kind of like that. Protection.
They can’t see our whole face, so we don’t have to pretend as much. That’s how it feels to me, at least.

Z

Zoe1

I caught a nasty cold bug yesterday
from a masked taxi driver
I know it was his because he was sniffling a lot
I was woozy all evening and had to rest and use lemon juice and stuff
I think I've fought it off now

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
I've experienced the opposite, feeling more anxious and awkward, but there's so few people wearing masks in Norway where I live but I've started using one when I ride the bus to work. I still haven't gotten used to it.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Yes. Also, friends with noticeable skin conditions, facial deformities or those who feel they're unattractive tell me it is as if the playing field is finally level.

On the other hand? People who are especially proud of their attractive facial features, are partial to makeup, are proud of coiffed facial hair, spent time and money on gorgeous teeth, or have trouble being understood while speaking through a mask...more anxious.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Social Anxiety Forum 3
Sarah902 Social Anxiety Forum 9