• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Wearing Gloves in Public?

U

ulg091016

There are certain places (such as the pharmacy) where I would feel much better wearing medical gloves. When I do this, people of course look at me strange, and even worse I find that they seem frightened by me. I can relate as when I see someone wearing a mask I assume they're sick.

My question is: Can any of you think of any excuses that wouldn't seem so weird when someone asks me why I'm wearing gloves?

Brazenh

Brazenh

Just make something up.
I'd say phalanges gage which basically means finger bones glove.
So someone comes up and asks why are you wearing gloves you say it's phalanges gage.
If they ask what it is just say it's hard to explain.
I tell people I'm allergic to blue so I must wear a long sleeve t shirt to work under the work shirt which is blue.

J

Joeyd929

There are certain places (such as the pharmacy) where I would feel much better wearing medical gloves. When I do this, people of course look at me strange, and even worse I find that they seem frightened by me. I can relate as when I see someone wearing a mask I assume they're sick.

My question is: Can any of you think of any excuses that wouldn't seem so weird when someone asks me why I'm wearing gloves?
I don't have a fear of wearing gloves, but if the gloves get turned inside out, I have to have someone else flip them back for me I can't look at them or touch them when they are inside out it's gross

A

aisha23

their's a skin condition (the name escapes me), but it's something to do with if you're touched on the hands/ arms, even a bit, it hurts.

that's the first thing I thought of when I read this

I

im_broken

Who cares what people think if gloves make you feel better wear them, you're not hurting anyone. And you can say you have an existing condition which makes you vulnerable. Thats it thats all and if you don't want to explain yourself then don't. I feel like at this point who cares what people think if it makes you feel better, it may be a compulsion if you have ocd but i don't see anything wrong with it.

J

jamraspberry

Plan A:
Wear gloves, try to survive the strange looks, if you feel really anxious and can't take it go to Plan B.

Plan B:
Wear no gloves, wash hands regularly.

Hope this helps :hug:

Faith198

Faith198

Wear the gloves if they make you feel better. I have seen a lot of people wearing them right now (myself included) and masks. To clear up why I wear a mask, it’s to protect other people from the virus. We could all be carrying it and not know. They recommended it in the state I live in. If another person wears a mask it protects me too.

A lot of stuff is going on right now and I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. If people stare that’s their problem. Do what makes you feel at ease.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Phobia Forum 6