• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Wearing a mask to hide depression:

H

High Anxiety

It seems more often than not that I mask my depression/anxiety when I'm with friends, family or doctor's. Only with the forum and my therapist do I feel I can be my true self. There seems to be a stigma about having depression/anxiety and the inability for some people to listen or understand.

I wrote a poem about this I'll share:

Living in the present
Wearing a disguise.
Acting to be accepted
Speaking lines in a play
Never giving your consent.

It is my truth I want to tell.
Finding a script
people will understand.
But this dream is unrealized
The tickets won't sell.

Maybe someday the curtain will rise,
and people will applaud and accept
my performance, my life,
without my having to wear a disguise.

Writing poetry or journaling really helps me in a creative way. I was on another Depression forum where another member and myself created a thread "Creativity while depressed". It really caught on and people shared poetry, art, short stories to name a few, and became one of the most viewed threads.

Just throwing it out there! Meanwhile stay strong.

T

treasurebox

Writing poems and keeping a journal also helps in depression.

Try music therapy. Music helps me. Listen to uplifting, motivational, happy, and encouraging songs on youtube, spotify, or soundcloud daily. It will make you think and feel better.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I used to write songs. That I think helped me express stuff, much like this poem. It felt nice to create something and sing it / perform.

Anyway, yes I wear a mask over ALL negative emotions with EVERYONE apart from my partner and my best friend. And have worn that mask since childhood.

L

Lucy87x

Lovely Poem. I used to feel like this keot it a secret dur to feeling embarrassed and not wanting to he judged but then depression got severe where didnt care who knew what and also thought be self healing to speak honestly and openly and more people open up.perhaps will encourage others too x