• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are the robots...

Q

quilteddown10

I think my basic point is that it is almost impossible to carry around in your head a self-image that, constructed by the words and actions of others, is so entirely negative.

To do so would, in effect, to impose on oneself a sort of psychological death.

We are programmed by evolution to be motivated to act on the basis of reward.

If every act of motivation is, instead, met with punishment, then action becomes problematic.

If you subject a rat to a schedule of random and uncontrollable punishments it eventually stops acting.
It curls up into a little ball in the corner of its cage.
Its entire motivational drive state has been deactivated.

Q

quilteddown10

I think my basic point is that it is almost impossible to carry around in your head a self-image that, constructed by the words and actions of others, is so entirely negative.

If every act of motivation is, instead, met with punishment, then action becomes problematic.

If you subject a rat to a schedule of random and uncontrollable punishments it eventually stops acting.
I have to wake up with at least a little bit hope or I wouldn't even be able to get myself to the kettle.

B

Blues47

I would hope, however, that there are far too few exclamation marks for it to come across as a 'rant'. It certainly wasn't intended to be one. Rambling, sure. But there is some semblance of a coherent argument, I would hope
Agreed, rant is probably the wrong word. Stream of consciousness.

M

MHFPokeplantz

Exactly, thats gold information (and point of view)