• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are the robots...

Q

quilteddown10

There is no getting away from the fact that we encounter others primarily in their sexual attractiveness.

This, ironically, has nothing to do with actually wanting to have sex with that person.

It is a pre-reflective (emotionally driven) judgement of that person’s status and worth as a human being.

This tells me that the active worth of a human cannot be separated from certain categories and sexuality is the primary one.

There is no such thing as a ‘pure essence’ of ‘worth’. Worth is contiguous with our physicality. Sure, we can abstract from this if we wish (though, many don’t) but this will always be a defensive reaction rather than an actual demonstration.

So, we may say ‘You are ugly, but I don’t think less of you as a human being because of this’.

This is different from saying ‘There is something that you are, some essence, that transcends all of the categories through which others encounter you’.

When I wake up, the first thing that comes to me as the light floods the room is ‘Damn. Another day as someone described as extremely ugly. I wonder how many times I shall be abused thus’.

I don’t wake and think ‘Ah, I am safe in my ‘pure essence of human-ness’. No-one can harm me.’

I am entirely my body. There is no ‘pure realm’ of ‘mind and self’. It’s both painful and fascinating.

Being ‘different’ in this way has been a real education on how humans go about their daily business. We are like little wind-up toys with a pre-set repertoire of actions and reactions.

The sheer predictability of the responses of these little wind-up toys is both alarming and amusing.

I have to feel pain because I am being exposed as ‘different’ and I have to feel amused because of the sheer number and anonymity of the people doing this.

It’s almost Matrix-esque. Everyone is ultimately an Agent on the look-out for certain types of ‘difference’.

Sure, it saddens me that I am the one to whom everyone points and shouts ‘Look! We have a difference here! Engage the shame-program!’

We are fleshy robots programmed by the (ironically) blind watchmaker. You cannot defeat it but you can understand it.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

Q

quilteddown10

In the world, and we are necessarily always in the world, there is no hiding place.

Rather, we construct a hiding place in our head.

Often, this takes the form of a slightly optimistic self-description that buffers us along the occasionally bumpy road.

'The Crowd' is normally fine with individuals doing this.

It's a quid pro quo of 'You're ok, am I ok?' 'Yep, you're ok. Am I ok?' And so on.

But when you look like me, this ain’t gonna work.

So, my only option is to completely rip up what anchors me to the world and enter full-blown eccentric delusion, or, accepting reality, actively prevent myself from constructing a hiding place.

This is very difficult to do because it is a natural psychological process to want to protect yourself from The Crowd’s highly negative appraisal.

What I find is that, absent-mindedly, I begin to naturally start building a hiding-place.

It might be on a Saturday morning while on my own listening to music. I’ve had my toast and coffee, the music is sublime (Schubert), I’m looking out at the sheets of morning rain and begin to feel the cosy warmth of the fire I’ve made for myself.

I begin to feel…normal. I begin to feel…ok. But then…BANG! The Crowd suddenly appears (in my head) shouting ‘You ugly bastard. You are worthless and abject! You should be dead!’.

So I leap up, heart sinking, and rip up the roots of comfort that I had so absent-mindedly and naturally allowed to start growing into the earth around me.

I shake and grind my teeth again for a while. Railing against the injustice while at the same time apologising to The Crowd. I strut and fret up and down the room for a bit. Then…swallow hard…sit down…the music…such sweet sounds…I am comforted like a baby.

The roots begin once again to grow.

M

MHFPokeplantz

I actually relate to this, though for different reasons, like my behavior instead of my look. And the mental proccess about is the same as you described

M

MHFPokeplantz

Its an interesting point of view and I think Ive never thought like this (or heard someone saying). Btw Social anxiety S U C K S

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

The Buddha figured out 2500 years ago that we were slaves to our mental conditioning, there is not half as much free will as we think there is. For me it's only when you have cultivated some non-attachment to ones own thoughts and feelings does one start to gain freedom from the mental conditioning.

J

Justwaiting

The Buddha figured out 2500 years ago that we were slaves to our mental conditioning, there is not half as much free will as we think there is. For me it's only when you have cultivated some non-attachment to ones own thoughts and feelings does one start to gain freedom from the mental conditioning.
Do you think positive affirmations work?

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Probably, but that's just reconditioning the conditioning to me, I just try and make my peace with it and not get caught up in the story it's telling me. I can't do it all the time but after ten years meditating it is getting a ilttle easier. YMMV.

M

MHFPokeplantz

Probably, but that's just reconditioning the conditioning to me, I just try and make my peace with it and not get caught up in the story it's telling me. I can't do it all the time but after ten years meditating it is getting a ilttle easier. YMMV.
Exactly the same to me (except its not 10 yrs yet lol)

Q

quilteddown10

If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out.

Pithers1971GB

Pithers1971GB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Interesting post, MosDef.
I often watched the Matrix films in the 1990's and it makes me feel uneasy that "society control" in developed parts of the world (2021) is even more prevalent.

Q

quilteddown10

Interesting post, MosDef.
I often watched the Matrix films in the 1990's and it makes me feel uneasy that "society control" in developed parts of the world (2021) is even more prevalent.
I guess I see (and experience) it more as social control through evolutionary psychology than anything to do with what might be called 'surveillance society'. The latter occurs, of course, but not all surveillance is top-down. Much of it is desperately mundane - High Street stuff, if you like - and consists of 'half-heard whispers, gestures, nudges and looks'.

M

MHFPokeplantz

I think instincts are really the origins of these behaviours, mostly sexual and social (social in the sense of ALIKE BEINGS, in many aspects. Any person that somehow is or does what is NOT expected or clear, becomes a CHALLENGE (almost literally) to the others that adapted to their "alike" ones. We humans struggle TOO MUCH with dealing with the different unfortunately)

Q

quilteddown10

For a rambling rant this makes a lot of sense.
I would hope, however, that there are far too few exclamation marks for it to come across as a 'rant'. It certainly wasn't intended to be one. Rambling, sure. But there is some semblance of a coherent argument, I would hope