Ways to stop drinking

A

AL123

Hi all, I’d be really grateful if I can have any advice on the above subject. I’ve recently been drinking way to much due to my depression. I have always felt the need to turn to drink to help forgot my issues . I have recently been told to stop drinking for two weeks by my gp. I know that drinking large amounts isn’t good for you, but now I have been told this it’s just made me think I can’t cope for 2 weeks without drink . I know im not an alcoholic because I can go several days without one , but two weeks to me seems forever. Any advice would be so appreciated .

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

One of the hardest things about going "dry" is that your mind automatically wants the substance you have decided to not have.

Keeping busy helps.

Having a favorite soft drink helps - when I first went dry I drank alot of tonic water, now I prefer lemonade.

Talking to friends helps.

Take things one day at a time.

When I first tried going dry I avoided pubs and even wouldn't walk down the booze isle of the supermarket (but I was a serious alcoholic).

Inter Vivos

Inter Vivos

...I have always felt the need to turn to drink to help forgot my issues . I have recently been told to stop drinking for two weeks by my gp...

Don't forget your issues; work on them.

Try non-alcoholic beer. It's good stuff.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
is there a reason the doc has told you to stop drinking. If you look @schizolanza post in the substance abuse section he’s posting about his battle,with stopping alcohol. You could maybe support each other

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Substance Abuse Forum 12