Watch out for this trick-ESA

albie

albie

Went to get my blood taken by the gp and she asks me some questions for a form. One of them was asking if I did any work or voluntary work.

I stupidly said I did voluntary work.

Now if this gets back to the esa people I could be taken off the support and lose money.

So watch out for this.

W

wheezey

Hello albie. I think quite a few people on ESA do some kind of voluntary work and are still able to receive their benefits. I hope it is okay for you. :hug:

Passionflower

Passionflower

I think it's fine to do voluntary work, just as long as you let the DWP know and then it shouldn't affect your benefits.

T

TheRedStar

My understanding is that it's okay for ESA claimants to do up to 16hrs per week of voluntary work. It's even okay to find paid employment whilst on ESA, so long as it's for less than 16hrs per week and doesn't pay more than £125.50 per week.

According to the following link though, you are supposed to tell Jobcentre Plus if you're doing any voluntary work.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): Eligibility - GOV.UK

F

Funnyday

Any earnings that you make from doing approved work. Will be taken into account when working out housing benefit. So you won't be financially better off. Also it may affect your PIP claim.

albie

albie

Yeah but are these people in the support group or the work group? I'm in the support group. I could be put in the work group and lose hundred pounds a fortnight. Which I cannot afford.

Drooo

Drooo

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know anything of your illness/disability, but if you can do voluntary work doesn't that mean that you should be in the Work-related group anyway?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know anything of your illness/disability, but if you can do voluntary work doesn't that mean that you should be in the Work-related group anyway?
Voluntary roles can differ and I believe shouldn't place you in the work-related group.

albie

albie

I have been volunteering since leaving hospital and even when I was at hospital. I was pointed towards volunteering opportunities by mental health carers.

I don't see why doing 3 hours a week should mean I am able to do 40 hours a week.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you may according to regulations be able to do certain things without it effecting benefits that doesn't mean they won't take it into acccount and cut benefits at a future benefit renewall

one issue is to me the sort of support from proffessionals you have available if the dwp gets strange ideas

Drooo

Drooo

I have been volunteering since leaving hospital and even when I was at hospital. I was pointed towards volunteering opportunities by mental health carers.

I don't see why doing 3 hours a week should mean I am able to do 40 hours a week.
It's okay, I'm not saying that, it's just that I thought if you were out of the game with regards to work that you went in the support group and if there was the possibility of being able to work, or work-related activity, then you would be in that group. It was just my assumption that the support group wouldn't include that kind of stuff.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It's okay, I'm not saying that, it's just that I thought if you were out of the game with regards to work that you went in the support group and if there was the possibility of being able to work, or work-related activity, then you would be in that group. It was just my assumption that the support group wouldn't include that kind of stuff.
according to ian duncan smith they're saying anyone can work, because the alternative is writing people off

F

Forevertrying

Went to get my blood taken by the gp and she asks me some questions for a form. One of them was asking if I did any work or voluntary work.

I stupidly said I did voluntary work.

Now if this gets back to the esa people I could be taken off the support and lose money.

So watch out for this.
Do you suffer from paranoia?
1. your allowed to do a certain ammount of voluntery work in support group im in it to. You said 3 hours. That is well within the boundreries, it takes two secs to google what your allowed to do in support group.
2. You should have told them you are doing volunteer work, its clear when they say any changes you should notify them, so thats your fault here.

If you update any changes there is nothing to watch out for.

Last edited:
F

Forevertrying

Your wrong it does include this stuff. doing 3 hours a week does not mean shes or he is able to cope with the preasure of working a full time job. I know people with disabilities who can volunteer three hours a week but sometimes can not always make it, there not being paid so its no big deal swap that to employment which employer when you first start with tolerate absenses due to illness so early on?

F

Forevertrying

Also the question they asked is nothing to do with ESA, its for monitoring purposes, no one is trying to set you up...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
so you say i think what would be interesting is what your not saying the disability, whether your receiving social worker support etc your circumstances they take into account