• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

wat do i say/do?

K

kelly.x

hey, (first of sorry for my reallly bad spelling!)
have finally taken first step.. woo big one after years and years puttin it off.. went to docs, and they have put me on espritogram and they have reffered me to consellor for "assesment". Thing is i am absoloutly shitting myself !!..
what do i do? what do i say? what if they think i'm ok and don't need there help because i put on a fake act? (i really do need their help!)
I hate going out, got to the stage where i just sit in and eat.. then when i do go out i go to gym too much cuz i feel bad.
I freak out loads when i have to talk to people, hate being shy ! but people just think i'm ignorant instead :-( ahh !

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There's nothing to be afraid of Kelly.Well done for taking the first step.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Well done you for taking the first step (y)

Just be yourself and tell them how it is . They are not there to judge , but to help :)

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I had a psych appointment on Friday and I've usually got the same problem as you with forgetting what I was going to say and not knowing what to say, but this time I wrote the stuff I needed to stay down and that really helped me. Maybe you could try this. Good Luck

K

kelly.x

hey, thanx every one.. will right some stuff down before i go.. ta :D

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
no probs, i know it helped me though i did feel a bit silly pulling out my a4 sheet!!

R

riverofdragons

I have a piece of paper for every appointment - Gp's, Psychiatrists, physiotherapy, citizans advice bureaux etc.

Firstly it demonstrates the practical problems you have and secondly it makes sure you have all the information you need to remember.

Not one of my docs have ever minded. Mostly they ask to keep the piece of paper for my records. One thing that has been brilliant is the docs then write down anything thats important for me to remember, to take away.

It really helps as a starting point for talking about problems...if you need to do it, go ahead. No-one will mind - i promise.

invise

invise

What the peeps say about writting it down is a huge help. I guess your still worried about whappin it out and rambling through it. But if your anything like me your scared to hell when you start talkin. I get all sweaty and try throat, and belly flops, the works. But then after a few seconds I just go into rant mode and it all comes out. It actually feels pretty good just letting things out. Its the initial bit thats hard, but worth it.
Dont get worried about them thinkin your a fraud - they wont. The very nature of mental health problems means that they wont fob you off, ofcourse they know that its hard for you. Most docs are really nice and listen.
Good luck. :hug: