• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Waste of effing time

F

firemonkee57

Waste of effing time. Got there 10 minutes early(10.50).Checked in and said which pdoc i was there to see. 11.45 i still hadn't been seen so i walked out. It wasn't as though they were ultra busy or at least not compared to some days i have been in there.

F

firemonkee57

ach, frustrating. did you make a new appointment?
No. You don't make a new appointment there and then. Appointments are sent out by post from a central location.
Nobody approached me to say they were running late or anything. They weren't that busy anyway to be running late.
Now i'll probably be left another 6 months(usual timespan ) before the next appointment.
Maybe they decided that because i am a freak and only have a personality disorder i'm not worth bothering with.

R

rasselas

you're not a freak. surely they don't think you're a freak either. mightn't it be possible to ring them back and make your way back over there? tell them you felt unwell and had to leave, but could do with seeing someone today?

F

firemonkee57

Have had no phone call from the mental health centre asking why i left before i was seen. Probably not bothered that i wasn't seen..

I don't know whether they think i'm a freak but think they might do. I have been labelled as awkward/demanding/troublesome in the past which i think is probably quite common if you are reasonably intelligent and answer them back.
A lot of pdocs(or their juniors ie trainee psychs) i have seen have had God complexes and expect their clients to be to dumb to have opinions of their own and answer them back.

R

rasselas

essential tactic number 1: don't reveal your intelligence unless requested!

if i was you i'd ring them back. correct me if i'm wrong but i think you were in an agitated state before you got there. thats no big problem in the scale of things - its a mental health service after all.

i'd go back and ask to see someone. explain how youve been feeling. unfortunately you have to demean yourself to some degree by appearing meek and apologetic. its no loss, really - it's a means to an end.

it can be a trial for all of us. you know this. for reasons unknown and never explained you can sometimes feel pushed aside. but i would let go of thinking they are labelling you as a freak. it's only going to wind you up further.

give em a ring. or go back down. a 6 month wait to see them again won't do you any favours.

F

firemonkee57

Summoned up nerve to phone.Receptionist at main desk tried putting me through to doctor's secretary but she couldn't get a response from her.
Gave me the direct number. I tried a bit later-no luck.

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

i know how you feel firemonkee,they need to sort it out.its bad enuff getting yourself there in the first place & then for them to keep people waitting hours to be seen is no good,they need to up there game.

next time push yourself to ask the receptionist what the hell is going on

btw as mark.uk has said you are not a freak mate so STOP thinking it :)

A

AuroraBlues

Everytime i go and see my psychiatrist, she's always running late. I've had two CPA meetings too, they only give each CPA half hour time slot, so of course they are going to over run. Both meetings i was waiting upto 45 mins in the waiting room. It drives me nuts. I always go in there demanding and apology with steam pouring out my ears like the old cartoons.

If you walk out whilst waiting, they wont ring you and ask where you are. It's up to you to ring them back and reschedule. So keep trying, so you can get another appointment. Explain to them that making you wait that long made your already agitated state more so.

Sometimes they have patients in that need urgent intervention and have to go through the slow protocols of setting things in motion for them. Making appointments over run. But that's no excuse for them not letting you know.

Sorry you had to go through that. I know from first hand expereince that it can be incredibly frustrating and stressful to be kept waiting so long. But keep trying.

and you are not a freak :)

F

firemonkee57

Went for my depot injection today. One of receptionists came up to me to tell me doctor was sorry for not seeing me yesterday but she thought i wasn't in the reception.
She has sent out a letter of apology. I am assuming she will have arranged for another appointment to be sent out.

Got a slight rebuke from my care co ordinator who said 50 odd minutes wasn't that long to wait compared to the 3-4 hour plus wait that can occur in the local A&E . I told her i left because i was getting anxious.

I don't think the mental health professionals are always aware how anxiety provoking waiting in a reception area to be seen is.
I get anxious waiting at the best of times especially if it's busy and there are too many people in close proximity(which wasn't the case this time).

Knowing where to look when it's crowded can be hard .
Having people look at you can make you feel uneasy and also there's the issue of whether when you do look at people you are looking at them too much,ie staring.

I tend to look at the floor tiles quite a lot.

sallyG

sallyG

glad that you are getting an apology from them Firemonkee...i find it difficult in waiting rooms too...thankfully when i go for my depot injection there is only one other person waiting at the same time as me and the unit i go to is fairly quiet at 9am so im normally straight in and out again in a few minutes...
I hope they send you another appointment through soon.

R

rasselas

Well at least you have a new appointment.

It's true that waiting rooms can be difficult for some people. I know they try and make it comfortable in them, with plants and leaflets and magazine racks and maybe a tv or radio - which are usually unplugged in my experience.

I'd take a walkman or a phone or something that I can play chess on if I anticipate a long wait. If the room's full I tend to strike up conversations, and try and make people laugh a bit. That's easier said than done for people with phobias and anxieties, I know. Although I find humour the best medicine for anxiety.

A few months back I was in a waiting room for over an hour. To pass the time I watched this powerpoint presentation on an LCD in the room. Each page stayed on a about a minute and I took it upon myself to count the spelling and grammatical errors. I think I'd got to about 50 when the man I had the appointment arrived. By that point I wanted to stay 10 more minutes as the cyle hadn't completed and I was sure there were more errors to be identified!

:)

Good that things are being sorted though and that you'll be getting an apology. Why don't you put in a constructive suggestion about how they might improve the waiting experience?

F

firemonkee57

My depots injections have gradually been moved to later and later in the day.Ie when i first started having them it was at 10.30 in the morning and the reception area was fairly busy.
Then it gradually shifted to 15.45 and next one is at 16.00. There is hardly anyone in the reception area then.

What depot injection are you on? I am on risperdal consta 25mgs.
Years and years ago i was on Fluspirilene(Redeptin) .

sallyG

sallyG

My depots injections have gradually been moved to later and later in the day.Ie when i first started having them it was at 10.30 in the morning and the reception area was fairly busy.
Then it gradually shifted to 15.45 and next one is at 16.00. There is hardly anyone in the reception area then.

What depot injection are you on? I am on risperdal consta 25mgs.
Years and years ago i was on Fluspirilene(Redeptin) .
Im on Risperidal consta 37.5 mgs..though the dosage may need tweeking as im still some days having to take a 2mg oral tablet too.
I have a time slot of 9 to 11 am..but normally i go at 9am because its so quiet..last time i actually spoke to the other person having her injection done which was brave of me but we had quite a nice little chat about our injections..

F

firemonkee57

SallyG, i notice you live in Essex. I live in Essex too. (Southend on sea).