• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Wasps

O

OkHedgehog272

I first heard a grown man scream aged around 4 on the beach as I nonchalantly tried to drink from a cola can that had just been entered by a wasp.

The fear then spiralled to absolute dread the sight of the things by my teens.

Bees are not much better but at least I have come to appreciate the ability of a bee colony to keep away a wasp invasion. Two years ago in the spring, a colony landed and made home in my attack and around 80 made it into my kitchen while I was doing the dishes and somehow died there. I think I blacked out for a moment because I really don't actually know how I managed to get out of the house and to my mother's house down the road. From that moment the fabric of that house was tainted and I was not about to stay for another spring.

Wasps more and more come to the forefront of my mind and in how I live my life and assess my sense of personal safety in the summer months.

Lanzarote turned out to be a marvellous holiday for the lack of insects on the beautiful arid island. Not once was I bothered by a single wasp, it was the most I have ever been able to relax by the pool or outdoors period.

I think they activate too many senses at once and I become overwhelmed, well apparently I'm on the borderline of an autistic diagnosis so that makes sense to me.

The noise, and not always knowing where it is, and that they get too close and I don't know what it's going to do next and the primal reaction to their colour, and not knowing if it's alone. The texture if it lands on me. All just too much.

I don't think I could ever get over this fear.

O

OkHedgehog272

BTW this is not something causing me anguish, certainly not in November. I just thought I would add my 2 cents.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oh my gosh, reading that I felt my heart beat faster. I am scared of wasps too. I can see how you became scared after witnessing the man who was afraid.

R

rawlinsc

I thought you meant White Anglo Saxon Protestant. You mean the other kind of wasp. Sorry bad joke.