• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Was this wrong? I don't know.

P

penny1234

I am moderately hearing impaired. I can communicate in person just fine with no interpreters, no problem. I miss many words on the phone. I use a system to call doctors offices called relay. I type into a computer screen and an operator reads it to the called party. Then the operator types back to me what the called party says. When each person is done taking their turn, they say go ahead or "ga"

My doctor terminated care a month ago after I was hospitalized. I asked for help transferring care a month ago. None was provided. I emailed my old doctor 3 weeks after they terminated me, and asked if they would be willing to sign forms required for my insurance to cover care with another doctor. I asked if they could be completed and faxed to me. The doctor emailed back and said yes and told me to call the office the next day.

I was diagnosed with PTSD and OCD, and the doctor knew I had repetitive behaviors. When I was suicidal, they never called for a welfare check even though i was actively a danger to myself. They never did anything but terminate after a week of being repeatedly hospitalized. They never called for a welfare check, they never worked with the hospital, it was pretty weird. I am now told by a new doctor that I don’t have OCD, but I am on the autism spectrum. I don’t know what to make of that right now.

About a month after the termination, I made an attempt to get records and forms signed so my insurance could pay for a new doc. (It's what my hellish insurance required.) The doctor told me to call, she emailed and stated "since calling is preferred." She never state don't email, but did specifically state I should call. The first time I called I don't have the transcript of that call. My system crashed. I basically explained my meds were running out, it had been 30 days since I had been seen, and I needed the forms to be signed so I could see a new doc. The secretary said she would talk to the office manager, put me on hold, and then came back on the line to tell me that the office manager said the forms were in the mail to the addresses on file, I told her the address was wrong and she said no it was correct and the call dropped.

Then I called back. This is what happened. Names and locations and other info has been changed for privacy sake.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
RINGING 1 ... 2 ... (Name of clinic) THIS IS (name of person on the phone)
Me: hi my name is ----- and I called earlier to find out the status of faxing my paperwork to me and then I was put on hold and my phone dropped the call. Did you get the release form I faxed to you? ga
Agent: THE FORM REQUESTED IS IN THE MAIL because NO RELEASE OF INFO WAS received TO SEND TOT HE FAX number U REQUESTED (doctors name) IS OFF TODAY THEREFORE I HAVE NO OTHER INFO TO GIVE U GA
Me: no I did fax in a release form allowing it to be faxed to my own fax
Agent: WELL UH
Me: number it is my fax machine. It does not require a release any more than my home address, but I faxed you a release anyhow, did you get it? ga
Agent: THEN OK WE DID NOT RECEIVE IT SO THAT S THE ONLY INFO I HAVE FOR YOU GA THE FORM IS IN THE THE MAIL GA
Me: ok I am giving you info now. I am giving info to you. I will repeat the fax number to you when you are ready. where did you mail it? Please let me know when ready for me to give you my fax and mailing address. ga
Agent: I WILL HAVE TO HAVE (doctor A) TALK TO U ABOUT THIS ON MONDAY SINCE SHE IS OUT OF THE OFFICE TODAY. (SOUNDS PLEASANT) GA
Me: no. I have a right to my records. I can't call on Monday. This has taken too long and my meeting with insurance is 10am today. Today. Not Monday. I'm not doing this wild goose chase
Agent: AS
Me: please get your office manager. My insurance meeting was moved up to today, Kirsten told me to call here. the forms are due at 10am this morning. I don't even know what you mailed to me. I need to speak to he office manager please ga
Agent: FAR AS I KNOW IT S A LETTER THAT (doctor A) WROTE THAT SHE HAS PUT IN THE MAIL I LL DO WHAT I CAN BUT THAT S THE ONLY INFO I HAVE FOR U GA
Me: I need to speak to the manager now. I need to know where
Agent: (I AM SORRY HAVING TECHNICAL PROBLEM LINE DISCONNECTED...REDIALING TO CONTINUE CALL) RINGING 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... (F) (name of clinic) THIS IS (name of called party) (PLACED CALL ON HOLD) (HOLDING . . TY FOR HOLDING HOW MAY I HELP U Q GA GA
Me: this is ------- . I'm terribly sorry the relay line keeps dropping the call. It's not working today so the quicker we can do this the better. I need to speak to the office manager or (name of supervising doctor, Dr B) pls understand that I
Agent: (dr B ) IS NOT IN THE OFFICE I CAN HAVE (dr A) TALK TO U ON MONDAY YOU WILL NEED TO CALL THEN AND I HAVE GIVEN U ALL THE INFO THAT I
Me: I have been talking to the medical board and (dr B) giving out info to people without releases is illegal and now not giving me my own info or the forms in timely fashion is delaying my care elsewhere. I need to know how to communicate with your office manager or privacy officer per the privacy notice you
Agent: HAVE THE OFFICE MANAGER IS NOT IN TODAY
Me: please take this message down for (name of supervising doctor, Dr B) - he could lose his license at this point for doing this to me. Giving out info with no authorization to others while now failing to give me and authorized doctors information needed to transfer care is malpractice and continuing to do this could lead to sanction from medical board and keep doing it and he will lose license
Agent: I VE GIVEN U ALL THE INFO THAT I HAVE AND (dr A) IS NOT IN THE OFFICE AND I CANNOT PROVIDE U WITH ANYTHING ELSE WE HAVE NO AUTHORIZATION TO FAX THE FORMS. YOU WILL HAVE TO CALL AND SPEAK (dr A) ON MONDAY GA
Me: then how did you speak to the office manager (when I called) earlier? I can not call on Monday. ga
Agent: (LINE DISCONNECTED)
Me: redial ga
Agent: (REDIALING) (F) (name of clinic) THIS IS (name of called party) CAN I PUT U ON hold FOR JUST ONE SECOND please Q (CALL ON HOLD) (MUSIC PLAYING) (HOLDING . . . ,. . . ,THIS IS (name of called party)GA
Me: hi, I'm not sure what happened there if you hung up on me? Should I just have a process server come serve your office in person the release form to finally resolve this? I'm not calling again on Monday and I consider this to be malpratice. Be sure to let (name of supervising doctor) know I'm going to pursue meeting with lawyer about this mess and have them handle it from here. Not call again on Monday. He is delaying transfer of care by refusing to fax the letters to my home my home to me and it causing further harm from his patient abandonment and refusal to provide timely info needed to transfer care and its could be grounds for him I lose his license. be sure to let him know and let the office manager know please do let her know my request and your decision to not fax the forms or tell me how to contact your privacy office today since you already talked to her once today. I never authorized him talking to my friends and you violated HIPAA while refusing my own info so I can please go somewhere else. I want a new doctor please ga
Agent: FORM REQUEST IS IN THE MAIL BECAUSE NO RELEASE OF INFO WAS RECEIVED TO SEND TO THE FAX NUMBER U REQUESTED GA (Dr A) IS OFF TODAY THEREFORE I HAVE NO OTHER INFO TO GIVE U GA
Me: I have the confirmation for the release forms. Should I just have a process server serve your office in person the release forms so there is no more issue with that?! What address should they go to? They can deliver you a release form in person
Agent: (name of doctor A) OUT OF THE OFFICE TODAY AND I HAVE NO WAY OF GETTING THAT LETTER WITHOUT HER PRESENCE YOU WILL HAVE TO SPEAK TO HER ON MONDAY GA (PERSON HUNG UP) GA OR SK
Me: redial ga
Agent: (REDIALING) RINGING 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... (F) (name of clinic) CAN U please HOLD Q (HOLDING) PLEASE LET THEM KNOW THEY NEED TO CALL ON MONDAY TO SPEAK TO (doctor A) ABOUT THE FORMS (PERSON HUNG UP) GA OR SK
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I know I did a million things wrong. I was upset and did an awful job handling this. I did not mean harm. I did want the doctor to realize what had happened was serious and continuing to delay transfer of care was serious. I did not want harm to the doctor, except for him to lose his license. (He did a lot of very damaging things in the last two weeks I was a patient at the clinic, including but not limited to telling my friend all about my medications when she found his business card and called to tell him I wasn't doing well. He told her what medications he would call in and where and etc.

I didn't know or authorize it prior to the conversation happening...) The local hospital says he nearly killed me by mismanaging the medications and missing a serious diagnosis. I was scared and really wanted to finally get my care transferred elsewhere. I was crying the whole time during this interaction. Now that I go back and read it, I feel sick by how I acted.

It has always taken 2-4 calls to get even an appointment scheduled in the past. This time, the call connecting dropped too - but that was not the primary reason for calling back. The person who answers the call seems to hang up randomly whenever it is taking more than 10 seconds for me to type and then for the relay operator to read what I typed. She never says goodbye. Never. That's part of why I redialed. I had to do it in the past and she would finally get the appointment scheduled. It was like she would ask, does Monday work for you, and then while I was typing if Monday worked for me, she would hang up. So then I would call back and say Monday works for me. So I figured she was hanging up for the same reason now.

I also called again because she never said to stop. Not in the past and not now. I figured she would tell me not to call if she had a problem with it. She never said to stop calling.

That doesn't justify what I did, or does it? I don't know. I really don't know.

I would like outside opinions about this. Would you feel threatened, physically threatened and/or feel harassed, by what I said (or rather what I typed and the relay operator said)?

I think the answer is probably yes for most people. It is not what I intended at all.

Nikita

Nikita

Former member
Well the receptionist may have interpreted what you said about malpractice and the doctor losing his licence as a threat to sue or an accusation,and got defensive.It must be awfully frustrating for you and if the doctor broke confidentiality and by his actions or failure to act put your life in danger that is not good at all.The lack of communication though through the relay system keep failing is appalling.I am sorry you had to go through all that.Is it sorted yet now,do you have a new doctor?I wish you all the best to sort it,it is frustrating too if you need insurance to get treatment if they keep changing the diagnosis.Nikitax

Nikita

Nikita

Former member

N

notrealname

Oh wait...I had totally forgotten a load of info at the top of the post...sorry...read it again...

No, you did nothing wrong. To answer your question. I get it now. You had already sorted to have the forms sent, but the address was wrong on your file so it was going to the wrong place. Why on Earth would they need to speak to a doctor just to get your forms sent to the right place?

The receptionist was very unhelpful. I would have been annoyed in that instance too, especially when you have just been in hospital and you need to be able to transfer care.

Sorry you had to put up with that.

Last edited: