• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Was manic but slept it off!

S

squizofrenia123

After meeting a man, I got manic and was irritable, loud, and talking fast. But, I slept it off and continued taking my medication. Now, I feel fine. I don't know if sleep can make mania disappear. But for me, I felt a whole lot better after sleeping for awhile.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
was it the boogey man?

K

keith74

Sleep is huge for helping to deal with mania. During my wife's last manic episode, the days where she got a decent night sleep before she was in a much better mood. When she started taking her antipsychotic meds consistently (which has a sedative effect), her sleep was much better which in turn also helped to bring her out of her manic episode.

T

toto

Certainly. I am of the opinion that lack of sleep is the cause of most mental illnesses. Even for all-obsessions, bipolar, schizophrenia, borderline. Even I don't see much difference between them, as far as I've read. A friend recently didn't have to sleep for 3 days because he had a job and got hyucinations. They disappeared after sleeping and resting for a few days.

T

toto

After telling me about the incident, I am 100% convinced that every disease begins with insomnia. Because it is super unrealistic to have hallucinations if you give them another meaning - something supernatural, you maintain anxiety and get sick. Sometimes it happened to me that I could not. fell asleep with joy. And again psychosis, because I was at work and could not catch up with sleep.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

In the west we aren't sleeping enough. If you sleep well you are on your way to being of the healthiest people alive.

JessisMe

JessisMe

After telling me about the incident, I am 100% convinced that every disease begins with insomnia. Because it is super unrealistic to have hallucinations if you give them another meaning - something supernatural, you maintain anxiety and get sick. Sometimes it happened to me that I could not. fell asleep with joy. And again psychosis, because I was at work and could not catch up with sleep.
I have had several episodes of mania and psychosis and always sleep great.

JessisMe

JessisMe

In the west we aren't sleeping enough. If you sleep well you are on your way to being of the healthiest people alive.
I sleep very well (nine solid hours of blissful sleep a night at least) and also have severe issues with bipolar and psychosis. I wish getting a good nights sleep was a cure all but unfortunately it’s not.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Certainly. I am of the opinion that lack of sleep is the cause of most mental illnesses. Even for all-obsessions, bipolar, schizophrenia, borderline. Even I don't see much difference between them, as far as I've read. A friend recently didn't have to sleep for 3 days because he had a job and got hyucinations. They disappeared after sleeping and resting for a few days.
There are MAJOR differences between different mental illnesses and are treated differently as a result.

T

toto

Ok, after all, these are my hypotheses. So far, everyone whose stories I've read must have insomnia in their symptoms. How exactly is your mania going? Did you use drugs then?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I am not manic now. If by drugs you mean medications to manage the mania yes I did get back on medications and am doing better now.

T

toto

I mean, were they the cause of the disease? Otherwise I have my own theory. That the causes of the diseases are hidden in mistakes in upbringing / domestic violence and frustration, drugs, rape or many problems in the family, affecting sleep and causing psychosis. Somehow this with an imbalance in hormones does not sound exhaustive.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Nope, none of those things. I had a great childhood. This just happened.

T

toto

What were you doing during psychosis, I'm curious, I apologize if it's an awkward question? I'm asking you, because so far I've met people with only inability to sleep, hallucinations and strange beliefs. I have my own theories about the disease, even if I'm wrong religions lead to psychosis, it will be useful for me to hear your experience. Are you actually very religious?

That is ok to read.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have bipolar disorder. If i am hypomanic, a good sleep will mean i wake up more relaxed, but if i have a busy day, it will come right back. Sleep does bring me back in line, but there comes a point where it is too late to expect sleep to help.

If i am depressed, the more sleep i get the worse i feel.

I don't know about other illnesses but i would expect sleep is a break from the world and from the illness.

Depression plus insomnia is the worse thing in the world.