• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Was i diagnosed Bipolar last week?

T

tony2010

Well i was just put on 15mg of Zyprexa Velotab today.Last week when the pdoc prescribed it to me i asked him was i Bipolar and he said "it sounds like it". Is this a diagnosis then?I am 22 and live in Glasgow.

S

sgates

Well i was just put on 15mg of Zyprexa Velotab today.Last week when the pdoc prescribed it to me i asked him was i Bipolar and he said "it sounds like it". Is this a diagnosis then?I am 22 and live in Glasgow.
Two psychiatrists have to be present to make an 'official' diagnosis.

emski

emski

I've not heard of that, only they need to have seen evidence or symptomatics to fully meet the criteria for diagnosis for an official diagnosis.

M

mad as a hatter

me either i never had 2 doctors present and i,ve got bipolor it goes by ut symptoms that r present for a while

H

Hyperchick

I've never had 2 doctors present either and I was diagnosed as Borderline Personality Disorder. I had been under an MH team for 2 years before this though.

sarahcherry

sarahcherry

he probably just said 'it sounds like it' because bipolar is hard to diagnose. Depending on whether your medication works or not. Your doctor probably wants to keep seeing you for a while longer to make sure its not anything else :)

T

tony2010

thank you very much for your replies. I have an appointment tommorow morning with my GP. Do you think i should ask him what the official diagnosis is?Thank you very much.

dib4uk

dib4uk

the best person to ask for a diagnosis is the psychiartist. The GP can perscribe the recommended dose of drugs for you but i might be wrong in saying that only a psych can officially diagnose you. For me, when my GP found out that I was seeing a pyschiartist she said that all mental health issues should be taken up with the psychiartist and not her.

Good luck with it all. :D