• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Wanting to Give Up on Life

J

JustinS1998

Looking to see if anybody can relate to the title, or anything that I am about to say here. I just feel like almost every single aspect of my life has declined greatly over the past 2 years, and at this point it is so bad that I don't even really feel like trying any more. I don't have the motivation to keep looking for jobs, because I have never been able to find a good one. I don't want to keep trying to improve my romantic life, because I have been rejected to many times. I don't want to go to therapy any more, because so many of my therapy sessions have failed to help me. I could go on and on with each aspect of my life, but overall I just feel like its not even worth it any more. I have just tried so much and nothing has come to fruition, in fact it seems like things have gotten worse from my trying. I don't think any advice will help at this point, just seeing if anybody can maybe relate, because knowing that I am the only one who feels like this would change some things. Thanks to anyone who took their time to read all of this, it means a lot.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I can relate. I stopped trying, stopped working, forgot about boyfriends, stopped everything, and rested.

Gradually i have started to rebuild a small life. I'm very happy with it now, and can cope with living. It isn't perfect, but the small things make me very happy. My cat makes me laugh and is a reason to get up in the morning.

I didn't like therapy, i found it better and less stressful to think through things myself slowly.

What makes you happy in life?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
If you’re thinking about suicide and are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (i.e. in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111) or call the international emergency number of 112.

If you have been affected by the contents of this thread and would like to speak to someone about your feelings you can call one of the following helplines:

In the UK and Ireland, the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123.
In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14.
In New Zealand, the Need to Talk service is on 1737 or 080017371737.
Other international helplines can be found at www.befrienders.org.

toutatis

toutatis

Hi Justin1998.

I wanted to say, yes, I could relate to every word you wrote and from the many mental health posts I've read over the years in different forums, I can say with complete confidence that you're not alone with your situation in life. You're not alone in the way you feel.

For me, I've had to give up on aiming at the 'conventional' kind of lifestyle people usually aim for, and approach life my way, in as healthy a way as possible. For me, I've had to, and I feel more content with life, but it's still a struggle at times, yes.

You're not alone Justin1998. Keep searching and approaching life in ways where you'll be happiest.

J

JCPraha

I have also declined a lot over that past 2 years and nothing seems to help me. I keep trying various types of medications and treatments. I even had ECT. Nothing seems to help me so much. It is difficult to continue with life and to have hope. I know how you feel, but I do not have a solution for the problem It is very difficult, to say the least.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I feel the same. There are very few demands on me at this point in my life but there are very few things I have to look forward to either. I have given up on relationships and the pursuit of many other things that makes a typical persons life rewarding and makes them feel productive and happy. I exist mostly to maintain my stability now. If I didn’t live with my parents my life would be very lonely. I fear the future and think of giving up all the time. xo, j

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah, I can relate to a lot of what you said up there Justin, and I'm sure many others on this site can as well. I've been discouraged and depressed lots of times, and sometimes even things that are usually simple, become not so simple. It's like if there's a scale of 1 being easy, 2 in the middle, 3 being tough, sometimes the 1 becomes a 2, or a 2 becomes a 3. Best to try and deal with the "ones" first I guess.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Can relate. For me I found that I think I was trying too hard. Everyone kept saying baby steps and I didn't understand. Have found though by not fighting so hard my existence had become more tolerable

J

JustinS1998

Hi Justin1998.

I wanted to say, yes, I could relate to every word you wrote and from the many mental health posts I've read over the years in different forums, I can say with complete confidence that you're not alone with your situation in life. You're not alone in the way you feel.

For me, I've had to give up on aiming at the 'conventional' kind of lifestyle people usually aim for, and approach life my way, in as healthy a way as possible. For me, I've had to, and I feel more content with life, but it's still a struggle at times, yes.

You're not alone Justin1998. Keep searching and approaching life in ways where you'll be happiest.
Hey, thanks for the reply and the kind words of advice. That is basically my approach too, although it is just a mindset as of right now, as I haven't actually manifested anything meaningful towards a potential other lifestyle.

J

JustinS1998

I have also declined a lot over that past 2 years and nothing seems to help me. I keep trying various types of medications and treatments. I even had ECT. Nothing seems to help me so much. It is difficult to continue with life and to have hope. I know how you feel, but I do not have a solution for the problem It is very difficult, to say the least.
Yeah I feel that. I just don't really understand it, and I don't really think there's anything I can do, other than to just accept my life of misery. I hope I die soon so it can all end :(

J

JCPraha

It is true. You are not alone in feeling this way. I don't really enjoy living this way. Some days are better than others, but death would not be an unwelcome reprieve. I don't have any plans of ending my own life, but it is very difficult to continue this way. I know how you feel.

DistantOcean

DistantOcean

I can also relate, for me what is hardest about living is that I have pretty much completely stopped enjoying anything. I used to be an avid climber, gamer and studied Biology. Now I just waste away behind my computer and lying in bed seeing no point to it all

J

JustinS1998

It is true. You are not alone in feeling this way. I don't really enjoy living this way. Some days are better than others, but death would not be an unwelcome reprieve. I don't have any plans of ending my own life, but it is very difficult to continue this way. I know how you feel.
Wow that is crazy, everything you are saying I basically agree with, and I couldn't have said it better. That is some nice vocab with the word reprieve :) respect lol

J

JustinS1998

I can also relate, for me what is hardest about living is that I have pretty much completely stopped enjoying anything. I used to be an avid climber, gamer and studied Biology. Now I just waste away behind my computer and lying in bed seeing no point to it all
Yeah that is a very hard part for me too. I used to be interested in a lot of things, and I used to want to be this that and the other thing for a career choice, now I just wallow away and do the same thing every single day.

C

Chiquita Banana

Yeah that is a very hard part for me too. I used to be interested in a lot of things, and I used to want to be this that and the other thing for a career choice, now I just wallow away and do the same thing every single day.
I feel much the same.
Just hanging in here. There's hope when we can't know or see it yet.