• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Wanted to finally open up and ask my GP for help, but I don't even know how to...

X

xKuromi

Hello, my first post here so I'm sorry if Im doing this wrong.
I feel i've suffered from depression for nearly a decade now, with an exact point of when it started due to a past traumatic event that's left me a shell of my former self.
I want to force myself to make some positive change in my life whilst I still have some youth left, so I registered for a GP (Doctors Office if they don't call it a GP elsewhere i'm not sure), they aren't taking in person or phone appointments due to them being overbooked with covid so I have an online form to submit before anyone will contact me, but Im already at a massive hurdle and its making me want to forget it all together, after my personal details Im met with the form question "Tell us how we can help? You have a 500 character limit" Of course my initial inside voice is "you cant", but In all seriousness I WANT to ask for help..but how, i've been staring at that question for three hours now and don't even know how to begin it...this feels futile
Has anyone else reached out to a professional for help and if so..what did you say. How do I even start this message.

Lilbubble

Lilbubble

Hi

Taking the first step to get help is never easy. You don't need to go into any great details thr form is just to give your GP an indication of the reason you are contacting them. If you had a pain in your leg that was making it increasing difficult for you to walk then that's exactly what you would write

Keep it simple and don't over think it....

"I need someone to contact me as I'm seriously concerned about my mental health and I need help"

Press submit..... step one complete

Maitri

Maitri

Hi @xKuromi , yes @Lilbubble has said it all. You are contacting professionals, adequately trained. You can trust them. They have heard it all, dealt with so much before.

There is no magic answer. They know that. But you can trust them.

We are all in it together.

All the best

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi welcome here
the gp is the gate keeper to most secondary care
so it would be really good if you could manage to see them
you could write a few notes and take them with you?
we will also support you
let us know how you get on
Lu x

O

Orangeade

Hello, my first post here so I'm sorry if Im doing this wrong.
I feel i've suffered from depression for nearly a decade now, with an exact point of when it started due to a past traumatic event that's left me a shell of my former self.
I want to force myself to make some positive change in my life whilst I still have some youth left, so I registered for a GP (Doctors Office if they don't call it a GP elsewhere i'm not sure), they aren't taking in person or phone appointments due to them being overbooked with covid so I have an online form to submit before anyone will contact me, but Im already at a massive hurdle and its making me want to forget it all together, after my personal details Im met with the form question "Tell us how we can help? You have a 500 character limit" Of course my initial inside voice is "you cant", but In all seriousness I WANT to ask for help..but how, i've been staring at that question for three hours now and don't even know how to begin it...this feels futile
Has anyone else reached out to a professional for help and if so..what did you say. How do I even start this message.
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing! I find that the doctor is the first step into getting help! I also rung the NHS helpline and they have referred me to a secondary mental health unit! In your submission, just get out the most important things you feel! Depression, how it makes you feel! You could start a list and just bullet point how you feel! Although it seems daunting that first step of saying how you feel, i see it is as the first step to the rest of your life! Sending you love x

M

Mistral

GP's like to deal with a specific problem. Concentrate on the worst affect you have as a result of your depression. Examples are lack of sleep, too much sleep, pains, aches, low energy, constantly crying etc.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
Try to list what symptoms you have and how you need help.
Good luck

M

Mles

My advice? State you are suffering a severe Mental Health Crisis, list severe Depression as the symptoms and state, clearly but briefly, your health concerns. That may sound cold, but doctors respond better to spelled-out issues. At the least, you should get a phone call. Hopefully, they'll actually see you to diagnose you.