• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Want to stop medication, can i?

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I have been on depot medication for 8 weeks now and i feel like i want to die. My life is c**p, pointless and i am totally fed up with it. They are increasing my depot and decreasing my quertipine at the same time. To be honest i have only been feeling this since decreasing my quertipine but i hate taking medication as i feel that it is the cause of why i feel like doing nothing. Can't even watch tv at the moment which is the point i usually know things are not good.

I was really pushed into taking the depot medication as i am non complient with my oral medication and it was that or hospital but now i want to stop but expect my pdoc to not agree. CAN he MAKE me carry on if i refuse. I know it will hold up me getting my daughter back(has been with my parents since nov 08) but my weight is on the up(10 stone at 4 ft 11 inches not good) i just feel that life is pointless and just want to end it all. My days are full of nothingness and i can't seem to pull myself out of it. I suppose this is a rant more than anything, just putting into print how i feel. The site that i normally use has been down for maintaince for weeks now so don't have the usual support.

L

lilslugger

stay on them

I know how u feel im on a tablet and my weight has gone up too. I think u should stay on the meds incase u feel like killing yourself after quiting them, thats why i stay on mine. If u feel u cant continue taking them at least tell your doctor who will take u off them gradually as quiting them suddenly is very bad for u. Please dont hurt yourself, life is hard sometimes but u can pull through it. I suffer from depression so i know how it feels not to want to do anything, but action comes before motivation. Keep active with some hobbies even if u dont feel like it and most important is to exercise everyday, this will help your mood. If you ever feel like ending ur life ring the doctor immediately.

Last edited:
D

Dollit

If you were put on the depot injection because you were non compliant and now want to stop the depot that means you're still non compliant. Have you talked to the doctors about how the medication is making you feel and how depressing you find the weight gain?

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Hi Scooby,
I just wanted to let on that we know each other from the other site. I am Hippy on there. I know how how tough this is for you but please don't do anything rash.
I couldn't stand the depot, it made me feel like hell, as did coming off quetiapine. You really really need to be working with the docs on this one hun, hard as I know this is. I don't take the depot now as I made him sit up and listen to me and believe that it made me feel awful.
Keep on working towards that goal of getting your daughter hun. You both need each other. Don't lose sight.
Happy/Hippy
xx

T

Twylight

I've tried depot injections and ther'e horrendous

You'll have to gain their trust if you want to take just tablets
There's a lots of other tablets besides Seroquel - I hated it
An appointment with a Psychiatrist woud be a good move

A

Apotheosis

I have strong feelings & opinions around all this. It should I think be very much based on individual circumstances & individual choice; I do not agree with the widespread practice of forced drugging. But in such a situation I don't know what else to do but accept what is happening. What else can you do?

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
thanks for the replies. I am going to try asking for my daughter back again explaining i need her with me to help my mental health. She needs me as much as i need her if they say no again i am going to say i don't want to carry on with the depot medication and see what they say.

D

Dollit

Have you tried telling them why you don't like taking medication? I once said to my consultant that it was too many pills and he didn't realise that when he was prescribing me two doses a day of two different pills it actually amount to 7 or 8 pills a dose. Once he realised that he changed the way I had my medication.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i beleive there is legislation allowing them to force meds on you, to be blunt you wouldn't like your child been taken into care, there is the iron fist behind psychiatrys velvet glove

I've been on depixol, the reason they give it is they know your taking it as compared to tablets, it is a horrible drug compared to the SSRIs

I never put on weight with depixol as i don't eat much, in cold weather my bottom aches i consider it my war wounds from the psychiatric wars

I may sound unfeeling but i've been in a relationship with a women, the psychiatrist calls her my service user girlfriend, she's having depixol forced on her and she's got 2 kids in care, they're now adults and haven't cotacted her which is upsetting her

As she says it's a hard world

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Daughter came round for dinner today and had a good time. She says that she would like to come back home but said "that dr is never going to say yes is he" she just sums up how i feel. The fact is i feel "better" when she is at my house, the depression lifts and i feel more motivated and it all goes when she goes, she is my life and without her my life is nothing. I think i am going to try and impress on my cpn and pdoc that her not living with me is holding up my progress. I am seeing my cpn on tuesday and think it is time for the "chat". I feel that mentally i am well and certainly am not actively suffering from mental "illness" but i realise i would have a hard if not impossible time convincing my pdoc that i am well and don't need the medication.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Do certain feelings result in the meds or do the meds result in certain feelings? have you looked up what depixol is for in the british pharmaceutical?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Sorry i assumed depixol but the same applies to other meds, the women uppstairs i care about is on depixol they sent this cpn round i heard her shouting i don't want it, she gets in a bad state without it, she doesn't seem to connect the 2

jax

jax

The question that I would like to ask is why you don't speak to your Pdoc first and explain why you want off the depot. Personally speaking, if I were trying to get my child back, I would be as complaint as is possible?. Surely if you assured the Pdoc that that you would take your tablets, and did so, if you were to come off the depot.
I was on the depixol depot for a few years. I did hate it and the weight gain and awful side-effects. I promised my pdoc I would be med compliant if she took me off the depot. She did take me off it and I did stay med complaint.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Jacqui

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Scooby I think jax makes a good point I would be as compliant as possible if there was a risk of me loosing my children. I class myself as very thankful that this didn't happen and wonder if I had lived on my own whether it wouldhave been the same case. I nearly lost my drivers licence through beng non compliant it might not be what we are happy with but unfortunately we have to go along with it.

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
I am more than willing to be complient with the medication if they were to allow my daughter to move back home with me, the problem i have is that i am being complient and well and they are still not allowing me to have my daughter back. I could understand if i was unwell but i am not and have been well for a few weeks now and yet at every appointment the pdoc and cpn state that i am not well enough to have her back, how well do they think i have to be. I have been alot worse than this in the past and yet had my daughter living with me, it does not make any sense to me.