• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Want to ask a question about my diet.....

bubbling under

bubbling under

This has been bothering me for some time...I have never actually come out and said it or asked anyone. So here I am....asking. I don't know if I have an eating disorder or just really bad habits?
I seem to go through waves of maybe a few days of eating constantly, then for maybe 3/4 days afterwards I'll eat next to nothing. I don't make myself sick or anything like that, but have thoughts of hatred towards myself and worry about any weight I might gain. I'm only 5ft 2, so any extra weight really shows. When I don't eat I lose weight really quickly....so is that why I do it, or could there be underlying issues.

If anyones got any thoughts about this, I'd be really grateful.
Thanks.

bubbling under

bubbling under

Oh I think I should add I also buy food and keep it in a drawer upstairs, so no-one knows I have it, and worry if I'm running low :unsure: I eat it in secret.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Bubbling under.
I'm no expert but it does sound like you have some issues with your diet doesn't it? It sounds like you are binge eating then starving yourself in a cycle that repeats itself.
Have you tried eating a healthy diet everyday?And exercise?
Now that I'm on meds my weight has shot up to 16 stone.I'm on olanzapine which is well known for weight gain.The only thing that's missing from my routine is the exercise.There is no gym near me which is a shame because I could get a cheaper ticket because of my ilness.

T

TabbyToes

Do you have a good doctor or someone involved in your health care you can talk to about this?

I eat in a very similar way to you (though you can add to the mix that I sometimes eat normally).

I spoke to my doctor first about it and told her that I thought I had a problem with food. I've just started to see a psychologist about it (though I think there may be a couple of other issues to 'discuss' too so I don't know when we'll get there.

I will say that I think some of my problem is bad habits, but it isn't just bad habits.

bubbling under

bubbling under

I have got a very good gp.....but I really don't know if I could talk about this to him. What would happen if I did?

The thing is I DO know I'm doing it, but it's like a compulsion? And when I'm not eating I can find every excuse under the sun not to have food.....normally I'm not feeling well, have a headache, eaten at work, eating with a friend later...oh I have loads :unsure:

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Have you tried eating a healthy diet everyday?And exercise?

bubbling under

bubbling under

I do exercise...in fact I recently got myself a bike, and I teach dance once a week for 2hrs...which is nonstop. And I swim.

I wish I could eat a healthy diet like 'normal' ppl, whoever they are:confused:, but I get bored very quickly and end up back in this pattern again.

T

TabbyToes

What would happen if I did?
He'd probably ask you a couple of questions to find out some more info. When I saw mine, I sat down and said 'I think I have a problem with food.' and let her take it from there.

I had been seeing a psychologist last year and I spoke with my GP in a break between the last 2 appointments. My GP suggested I speak with the psychologist and find out whether she thought I would benefit from some more therapy.

I have seen a dietitian in the past and she was pretty good and I picked up a lot of ideas of how to eat healthily if I could eat normally all the time. Not sure if it would benefit me seeing another one at some point in the future.

I think the fact that you're questioning your eating habits suggests that you're not happy with them and recognise that it would be good to change them ~ whether they're down to a problem or bad habits.

Have you thought of writing some of what you feel about eating down and giving it to your doctor? I'm pretty good at doing that! I don't think she worries too much about how I tell her, as long as I don't bottle it up.

bubbling under

bubbling under

What do mean when you say 'how I feel about eating'? Do you mean how I feel about food, or how it makes me feel?

T

TabbyToes

I guess you need to say whatever it means to you.

You've mentioned hatred towards yourself, concern about your weight, excuses not to eat at times, boredom with eating 'normally'.

To be honest, I'd suggest that you simply make an appointment and just tell your GP that you're not sure whether you have a problem with food (whether you say it verbally or write it down) and not worry too much about anything else.

It doesn't all have to be said in one appointment.

bubbling under

bubbling under

Ok, thanks.....not sure if I am quite ready to face this just yet :unsure: I have a whole heap of stuff going on, which I know isn't helping this problem either...but I guess it may be a case of one may fix the other:confused:

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me...you've given me some stuff to think about,,and maybe now I've actually 'spoken' about it I can get some grasp on it...maybe :unsure:

Thankyou:hug:

T

TabbyToes

I have a whole heap of stuff going on, which I know isn't helping this problem either...but I guess it may be a case of one may fix the other
Me too! I thought I was going to see the psychologist to sort out the problem I had with food but I've only seen her 2x and we're already 'off-topic'! I do agree that by sorting one thing, another may sort itself out.

Take care.

bubbling under

bubbling under

I've made a real effort today, but I've been around 'others' so I think that's why I made myself do it.
So...today..
Breakfast..........coffee and 2 pieces of toast
Lunch..............water and a spinach and cheese wrap
Mid afternoon...a few biscuits, a small bag of popcorn, and a coffee
Tea.....jacket potato and 2 sausages

Not great, but so far I haven't binged :unsure:......so far.

bubbling under

bubbling under

Sat looking at a double pack of custard creams:unsure:, and the only reason I'm writing that down is otherwise i'll eat them all, and I am desperatly desperatly trying to stop myself :unsure:. I thought maybe saying it here would help me to not do it.<shrug>

T

TabbyToes

Can I ask why you want to eat them? Boredom (nothing better to do), bad day, good day, craving something sweet, not liking yourself right now (for whatever reason)...

I guess the list is endless... and you don't have to post what you think...