• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Waking up depressed

M

Mastercheds

I’ve been struggling with my mental health for the past 11 years so it’s happened before but .... I can’t stop waking up depressed in the morning and it’s wearing me out. I’m exhausted of feeling like this and I just want it to stop. I can’t seem to find what I need to do in order to make myself better, I’m usually pretty okay at rationalising things and telling myself I’ll get out of my episodes but there’s little respite in between my depressive episode as of the last year and I don’t know.... how do you guys go about lifting yourself out of bed when you wake up feeling like the world is weighing you down?

Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have a dog to walk daily regardless of how I feel so that works for me, by the time we've got back and I've been out in the fresh air for an hour. If you're able to why not go for a walk for an hour or a run? Everybody seems to have been taking up the couch to 5K through lockdown, even if they didn't run before.

Some supplements like B12, Capsacin, and Q10 can give you a boost of mental energy. I usually find if I can give myself a feeling that I have a bit more energy then I'm also more likely to manage physio and then that will also help further cos I've managed to do some exercise.

My minimum target for a day is I must have at least met my dogs needs, walk, food, play etc that day, anything else is a bonus cos it depends how much energy I have or how much pain I'm in.

I find fun video games lift my mood too so when I've no choice but to rest and can't even sit up long enough to do a watercolour picture or something playing on a video game that doesn't require much movement but has some puzzles to solve or something helps, then at least my brain is getting a workout even if my body hasn't moved much!! :D

P

Purpleplum

I eat breakfast and want to go back to sleep....but alas, I can't...I have bills to pay.

So, how about coming up with things that you HAVE to do...things that are required. Twinkle Toes dog walking was such a suggestion.

You could also try drinking something with caffeine.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @Mastercheds
Depression is more likely in the morning because that's when the stress hormone cortisol is at its highest level during the day. I just force myself out of bed in the morning, because I set an alarm clock to help me do so.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Light! Light! Light!

Seriously, sleep with the curtains/blinds open and let the light hit you up in the morning. Light triggers us into action. Get a dose of that every morning and it should help.

Also, how's your sleep pattern?

Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes

ACCOUNT CLOSED
not good for security! can get alarm clocks that have a light that comes on gradually like natural light and lamp things for S.A.D (seasonal affective disorder)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Hello513 I just feel like falling asleep and not waking up. Depression Forum 1
B Waking up... then pissed Depression Forum 2
dodo777 Waking up feelings of dispair Depression Forum 2
W Hate waking up Depression Forum 5
T Permanently depressed just struggle o function. Anyone elseor is it just me? Depression Forum 5
mirrormaker is adviceable to live with your parents if you are a depressed adult? Depression Forum 7
H Too depressed to get help for depression. Ironic no? Depression Forum 32
P Oh God I'm so depressed Depression Forum 11
J Should I quit my job if it is making me depressed? Depression Forum 11
L Very Depressed Depression Forum 10
S Been feeling depressed for years Depression Forum 32
purehavoc Depressed,angry,totaly suicidal... Depression Forum 8
C Depressed after crush on girl, who left work Depression Forum 7
Bod Depressed and raging Depression Forum 18
L Depressed but can see there is light Depression Forum 8
D Depressed GF Depression Forum 3
queenleblanc I thought my depression was linked to my failure. I'm still depressed even though I "succeeded". Depression Forum 5
S Depressed, overweight. Lonely and lacking motivation Depression Forum 28
C Bedridden depressed, hopeless, trigger warning Depression Forum 6
C What are the basic things you do to help when depressed? Depression Forum 14
A Fancy Carp Depressed, lonely, awkward. Anyone want to just shoot the breeze? Depression Forum 71
I Feeling depressed lost my job Depression Forum 5
FallingLeaves "This could be why you're depressed or anxious" Depression Forum 19
L Depressed for a long time Depression Forum 6
whyoverandover (was mirrorImage123) can’t stand being depressed from ptsd Depression Forum 3
O Feeling more depressed Depression Forum 5
T Suicide attempt = depressed? Depression Forum 2
J I tend to get more depressed at night. Depression Forum 16
K My depressed boyfriend dumped me does he come back? Depression Forum 9
Amelia2020 Feel depressed about how distant and cold my family is Depression Forum 6
I Feel very depressed Depression Forum 21
J Depressed friend ignoring me Depression Forum 6
L Feeling Depressed Depression Forum 5
P I feel so useless and depressed because I can't drive Depression Forum 2
L Depressed partner help Depression Forum 2
T I think my friend is depressed. Depression Forum 7
A Dating someone depressed: What can I do? Depression Forum 3
C Relationship Troubles and Depressed Partner (depressed boyfriend) Depression Forum 1
L My depressed fiancée doesn't want me around anymore. Depression Forum 2
D I just let my problems stay as is and I don't do anything about them... too anxious to do what's needed, too depressed to want to do anything at all Depression Forum 4
S Does anyone have issues sleeping etc when severely depressed? Depression Forum 3
S Need some advice about a man with depression (I am depressed too) Depression Forum 12
L Depressed Depression Forum 7
L Depressed as can't make friends and people keep ghosting me. Why? Depression Forum 13
L Depressed and so anxious about my current job situation Depression Forum 10
DistantOcean What songs resonate with your depressed feelings? Depression Forum 7
L Very Depressed Depression Forum 5
R My work and home life is making me depressed. Advice please. Depression Forum 2
C What are your passions and hobbies that you turn to when you're depressed? Depression Forum 23
E I'm feeling severely depressed and it's not waning Depression Forum 9