• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Wait time for therapy

W

Wire

So recently I finally got around to telling my local GP that I had a problem and needed help. So we talked for a bit and eventually she told me that therapy was my best bet (after all but flat out denying anti-depressants to me due to my age+gender). She said that she'd get in contact with a clinic or whatever and they'd give me a call sometime.

Now it's been 2 weeks and, well, I'm wondering how long it takes to throw a quick call my way. Does anyone with experience in the UK mental health system know anything about the process/how long they take to call people? I practically told my doctor that I was close to suicidal and I'd really rather get help sooner or later before I did something stupid, but I feel like this delay is just holding me back from proper treatment.

In hindsight I should've asked about the waiting period...

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi welcome to the forum

Waiting times vary from area to area and alot depends on the type and intensity of therepy you have been referred for.

It could be worth giving your GPs secetary a ring and seeing if the referral has gone in and to whom to. I am sure you can then get some info.

Intel

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
If suicidal feelings are strong and you become unable to cope its advisable to contact GP for emergency appointment, call NHS direct or attend a and e

:flowers:

W

Wire

Ah yeah, calling them would probably work. I'm not sure how much the secretary's know about such referrals but I guess it's worth a go.

And for the record I honestly don't know whether I'm emergency room worthy really. I have exams coming up and a whole load of annoyingly important life decisions and well, I can't really miss those.

Plus I'm fairly sure I'm too pussy to actually do anything anyway so there is that...

Jo1760

Jo1760

Hi Wire,

I hope you manage to get some help / support soon.

The waiting time in the uk can vary loads between areas, when I was initially referred I got sent letter asking to set up a telephone assessment that took about 3 weeks, the waiting time for the telephone assesment was only a few days, however after that I had to go to a one to one assesment, as the nurse on the phone couldn't make the decision regarding the therapy i needed and needed an opionin of someone higher in the system and that then took 8 weeks.

4 weeks down the line from that I still haven't had the report yet or a date for my first proper sessions, although as I refused to go to a group and wanted individual the wait for that was again 8 weeks.

i hope yours in a little quicker as its very frustrating.

Take care of yourself and I hope you manage to get some good advice from this forum.

Jo X

D

Dollit

If the GP considered you a real risk of suicide or that you were very ill then you would have had an emergency referral.

But ring the GPs surgery or make another appointment and go back and talk some more.

A

anastasia

i got a letter saying 4 - 5 weeks when i was referred.

that was 20th april and i'm yet to get an appointment. that said, my availability is restricted.

it took about 2 weeks to get the initial letter saying id been referred and could i let them know my availabilities though

L

lola86

u just gotta hang in there, go back to your doctors even see another one and explain again. i had the same problem and got an emergency refferal.

A

Apotheosis

It took me 20 years to get to see an NHS psychologist, whom I had around 12 one hour sessions with. The focus within the NHS is not predominantly with 'talking therapies' - the focus is on meds/drugs.

T

TabbyToes

Ah yeah, calling them would probably work. I'm not sure how much the secretary's know about such referrals but I guess it's worth a go.
Don't underestimate the power of the secretary! A good one is worth her weight in gold (to you and the doctor) and will be able to check on quite a bit for you. She'll have a good idea of what waiting lists are like etc.

FastLaneC3

FastLaneC3

I hate the long waits :( I'm not from the UK, but I'm on a 4 month waiting list which sucks.

S

sarahemily

I got referred about 6 weeks ago and my appointment is in July, hope yours isn't as long.

W

Wire

Oh hey lots of posts in this thread.

Well, I finally got a letter through yesterday (even though I specifically told my doctor to call me instead of mailing me...). Need to phone through for an appointment now.

They mentioned on the letter an hour long assessment. Hey that sure sounds fun. =/