• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Vyvanse/Elvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) and Abilify together? ADHD and Bipolar

HLon99

HLon99

Dear Forum,

For the last 8 months I have begun the painstaking process of getting my drug regiment right. I have ADHD and Bipolar Disorder. I was first put on Lamictal (Lamotrgine) 200mg for bipolar depression which worked great, however, didn't help with hypomania. I was then put on Abilify (Aripiprazole) 5mg which helped totally even out my moods. However, I continued to struggle with my ADHD symptoms.

I was then put on Strattera (Atomoxetine) 40mg trial for about 6 weeks, and I showed no signs of improvement. So now, my doctor has decided to give me a trial of Lisdextamfetamine otherwise know as Vyvanse in the US or Elvanse here in the UK. I don't know what to expect from this combo, because I earlier tried using my old ADHD med (ritalin) with an antipsychotic and they completely counteracted each other. Does anyone have any experience with these two drugs, or any advice on dealing with comorbid ADHD and Bipolar.

Would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
-H

P.S. If this combo doesn't work out is it worth asking my doctor to switch the Abilify for Lithium or Valproate so my mood stabiliser won't counteract my stimulant?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It sounds like you need to speak to a consultant pharmacist.

HLon99

HLon99

It sounds like you need to speak to a consultant pharmacist.
Thanks for actually taking the time to reply tawny. I spoke to my psychiatrist about possible interactions, and while he says its possible that the antipsychotic will dull the effect of the stimulant, in low doses in theory it shouldn't be a problem. However, going by personal experience and what I have read on reddit, I found that the antipsychotic completely blocks the stimulant. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

If it doesn't work out i'll ask my psychiatrist to switch out the Aripiprazole for Depakote or something. Do you have any experience with Depakote (sodium valproate). If so are there any side effects I should be aware of?

K

keith74

If it doesn't work out i'll ask my psychiatrist to switch out the Aripiprazole for Depakote or something. Do you have any experience with Depakote (sodium valproate). If so are there any side effects I should be aware of?
Depakote (known as Epival here in Canada) was my wife's main medication for most of her adult life. When she became manic, she decided she no longer wanted to be be on it but just recently both myself and her psychiatrist was able to convince her to go back on it now that her mania has mostly subsided. It was pretty effective for her and with apparently no noticable side effects (she has historically taken around 500-1000mg). We are aware of the toxicity to the liver hence she gets regular blood tests. We don't have (or plan on having) children so the issue about birth defects is not an issue for us. She has always been (and still is) concerned about the long term toxicity of it to her liver and down the road is considering looking for an alternate. But so far it is the one med she has the most history with and it apparently has served her well so far.

K

keith74

Depakote (known as Epival here in Canada) was my wife's main medication for most of her adult life. When she became manic, she decided she no longer wanted to be be on it but just recently both myself and her psychiatrist was able to convince her to go back on it now that her mania has mostly subsided. It was pretty effective for her and with apparently no noticable side effects (she has historically taken around 500-1000mg). We are aware of the toxicity to the liver hence she gets regular blood tests. We don't have (or plan on having) children so the issue about birth defects is not an issue for us. She has always been (and still is) concerned about the long term toxicity of it to her liver and down the road is considering looking for an alternate. But so far it is the one med she has the most history with and it apparently has served her well so far.
I forgot to mention that she suspects one side effect of Epival on her is that it makes her hair curvy/wavy. Her hair was straight when she was growing up and her entire family and extended family all has straight hair.

Ruma55

Ruma55

Dear Forum,

For the last 8 months I have begun the painstaking process of getting my drug regiment right. I have ADHD and Bipolar Disorder. I was first put on Lamictal (Lamotrgine) 200mg for bipolar depression which worked great, however, didn't help with hypomania. I was then put on Abilify (Aripiprazole) 5mg which helped totally even out my moods. However, I continued to struggle with my ADHD symptoms.

I was then put on Strattera (Atomoxetine) 40mg trial for about 6 weeks, and I showed no signs of improvement. So now, my doctor has decided to give me a trial of Lisdextamfetamine otherwise know as Vyvanse in the US or Elvanse here in the UK. I don't know what to expect from this combo, because I earlier tried using my old ADHD med (ritalin) with an antipsychotic and they completely counteracted each other. Does anyone have any experience with these two drugs, or any advice on dealing with comorbid ADHD and Bipolar.

Would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
-H

P.S. If this combo doesn't work out is it worth asking my doctor to switch the Abilify for Lithium or Valproate so my mood stabiliser won't counteract my stimulant?
I also take Lamictal and Abilify and have taken Vyvanse in the past and found it worked well. I take adderall now and that works slightly better for me.

HLon99

HLon99

I also take Lamictal and Abilify and have taken Vyvanse in the past and found it worked well. I take adderall now and that works slightly better for me.
Thank you for your reply. Its rare to find another person with both ADHD and Bipolar (lucky us right) on forum. Did you find that the abilify somewhat dulled the effect of the vyvanse or the adderall? Also have you ever tried Quetiapine (Seroquel). I'm thinking of switching to it because unlike abilify its very short acting which means I can take my Vyvanse in the morning and my antipsychotic at night without one interfering with another.

Ruma55

Ruma55

Thank you for your reply. Its rare to find another person with both ADHD and Bipolar (lucky us right) on forum. Did you find that the abilify somewhat dulled the effect of the vyvanse or the adderall? Also have you ever tried Quetiapine (Seroquel). I'm thinking of switching to it because unlike abilify its very short acting which means I can take my Vyvanse in the morning and my antipsychotic at night without one interfering with another.
I know lucky us! I never noticed any dulling of the vyvanse when taking the Abilify, I took the Abilify at night and the vyvanse in the morning so I don’t know if that made a difference. I recently stopped taking the Abilify because I can’t afford to pick it up from the pharmacy and I haven’t noticed that my ADHD meds are working any better. I’ve had a couple of doctors put me on seroquel and I couldn’t handle the drowsiness, I would literally sleep until 2pm and still wouldn’t be able to keep my eyes open all day- people say that side effect wears off eventually but I could never get through it.

HLon99

HLon99

I know lucky us! I never noticed any dulling of the vyvanse when taking the Abilify, I took the Abilify at night and the vyvanse in the morning so I don’t know if that made a difference. I recently stopped taking the Abilify because I can’t afford to pick it up from the pharmacy and I haven’t noticed that my ADHD meds are working any better. I’ve had a couple of doctors put me on seroquel and I couldn’t handle the drowsiness, I would literally sleep until 2pm and still wouldn’t be able to keep my eyes open all day- people say that side effect wears off eventually but I could never get through it.
Thanks for that. Its good that it works well for you, I've read a lot of comments on reddit saying that abilify blocks vyvanse for them and its something that I have definitely experienced myself. I don't think that taking it in the evening will make any difference because Abilify is very very long acting (half-life 72-94hrs), part of the reason why I want to switch to seroquel (half life 8-12 hrs), so that I can take it in the evening and it wears off in the morning and I can safely take my vyvanse (kind of yin-yan effect). Which dose of Abilify and Vyvanse were you on? What are you taking now to stabilise your moods for bipolar?

Ruma55

Ruma55

Thanks for that. Its good that it works well for you, I've read a lot of comments on reddit saying that abilify blocks vyvanse for them and its something that I have definitely experienced myself. I don't think that taking it in the evening will make any difference because Abilify is very very long acting (half-life 72-94hrs), part of the reason why I want to switch to seroquel (half life 8-12 hrs), so that I can take it in the evening and it wears off in the morning and I can safely take my vyvanse (kind of yin-yan effect). Which dose of Abilify and Vyvanse were you on? What are you taking now to stabilise your moods for bipolar?
I’ve been on all different doses of Abilify from 2mg to 30mg and the vyvanse worked fine. Right now I take 15mg of Abilify, 200mg of lamictal, and an anti-depressant. I also take restoril to sleep and 80mg of adderall a day. I’ve been on this combo for years and it works well and keeps me stable. It’s hard when you’re trying to figure out what meds you need, switching and switching and all the side effects sucks. Once you figure out what works for you it gets better.

HLon99

HLon99

I’ve been on all different doses of Abilify from 2mg to 30mg and the vyvanse worked fine. Right now I take 15mg of Abilify, 200mg of lamictal, and an anti-depressant. I also take restoril to sleep and 80mg of adderall a day. I’ve been on this combo for years and it works well and keeps me stable. It’s hard when you’re trying to figure out what meds you need, switching and switching and all the side effects sucks. Once you figure out what works for you it gets better.
Thanks for that. I feel like I'm coming close to finding the right combo for me.