• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

"vulnerable adult?"

C

cally75

Ok. So when the police came the other night, they said "craig. Can we list you as vulnerable adult?" Yeah, the house was a mess when they turned up at 5am, but it always is! I don't get visitors so I'm thinking why bother tidying up?? They couldn't believe how I live like this (with their perfect lives, wives etc!) I'm single drinking man. What do they deem as "vulnerable?" Maybe they gonna get me a social worker or something. I know they have a duty of care & I had o/d day before. I know most police are decent, doing a difficult job. But how they gonna help? Yeah, they'll have access to resources I don't. Need call my lawyer just now for advice

SarahD

SarahD

I don't know for sure what they will do, but they could advise social services you might need support. They will also be aware you are 'vulnerable' if there is any further contact and that would make them more likely to check up on you and hopefully treat you sympathetically. I don't think it means anything bad.

I hope you are ok.

C

cally75

I don't know for sure what they will do, but they could advise social services you might need support. They will also be aware you are 'vulnerable' if there is any further contact and that would make them more likely to check up on you and hopefully treat you sympathetically. I don't think it means anything bad.

I hope you are ok.
Yeah Sarah. What u say is likely true. Called my lawyer but she's at court for next hour.if it's mentioned in court, might go in my favour. Dunno wots going on right now!

SarahD

SarahD

It could be someone with mental or phsyical health problems, or disability, or social or family problems, or someone who is seen at risk from their own or others' behaviour, this could be short or long term.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I wouldn't take offence to it, it just means that they may speak to social services and get some support in place should you want it?
Support ain't that bad, I promise ;)

SarahD

SarahD

For many of us on here, if we came into contact with the police, we would probably be seen as vulnerable. I don't think it is bad in any way.

F

fair&square75

Yes I agree with Sarah & Wildflower Cally,I class myself as vunerable and nothing wrong with that,if it can help you get support etc it can only be a good thing I bet ��

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

For many of us on here, if we came into contact with the police, we would probably be seen as vulnerable. I don't think it is bad in any way.

Hey sarahD

I'm not really sure what they mean as vulnerable - I know your prob not an expert but you sound like your speaking from personal experience :)

:( I would hate to be classed as vulnerable - yes we have issues but that dosent make us all vulnerable e.g. I'm 6ft2 and I'm not at risk of getting beaten up/ mugged etc the only person that's a risk to me is me.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

A vulnerable adult is defined as someone who is:

“Who is or may be in need of community care services by reason of disability, age or illness; and is or may be unable to take care of unable to protect him or herself against significant harm or exploitation”.

Applies to anyone over 18.

Abuse of Vulnerable Adults | Safeguarding Matters
Wow thanks - informative :)

What if your not at risk from others - just yourself? X

SarahD

SarahD

Hey sarahD

I'm not really sure what they mean as vulnerable - I know your prob not an expert but you sound like your speaking from personal experience :)

:( I would hate to be classed as vulnerable - yes we have issues but that dosent make us all vulnerable e.g. I'm 6ft2 and I'm not at risk of getting beaten up/ mugged etc the only person that's a risk to me is me.
Yes I am sure not everyone would consider themselves vulnerable, that is why I said "many of us" not all.

However I think if someone is at risk of self harm or suicide they are vulnerable.

Just my opinion. Could be wrong.

pepecat

pepecat

Depends what you mean by 'vulnerable'.

If you're taking the 'official' approach - for legal / medical / safeguarding reasons, then the definition above is the one to use; from the safeguarding website. So someone who self harms but who isn't receiving any community services wouldn't be classed as vulnerable.

But if you're defining 'vulnerable' in the sense of being emotionally fragile or easily hurt by someone else (emotionally), then that's different.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You have to remember abuse comes in more forms than just physical!!
With mh issues you are certainly more prone to emotional/psychological, neglect and discrimination :)

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You have to remember abuse comes in more forms than just physical!!
With mh issues you are certainly more prone to emotional/psychological, neglect and discrimination :)
This is very true - denial, invalidation & trivialisation is very common regarding mental health experiences, as is verbal, psychological & emotional abuse. It can appear in many ways & forms, some very subtle, systemic as well as general social.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Anxiety Forum 1