• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Von the verge of a panic attack

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Heart's racing, pounding in my chest. Walked around the grocery store literally shaking. Freaking about school, exams, assignments coming up, have to look for a job for the summer and take 2 classes and I don't know how it's all going to work and I can't stop the running mill of thoughts turning over and over in my head.

C

ChesireCat

Do you have anything to distract yourself with? I bought a coloring book and some markers tonight to try and get my mind off things.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That's a good idea. I don't know anywhere that's open right now where I could buy a colouring book.

C

ChesireCat

I had to buy one online:cry2: so it will take a few days. But sometimes I'll just grab a pen and paper and try to draw something. It really helps me and I get kinda lost in it.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I just came back from Michaels, which is a craft store, and spent $37 on a mandala colouring book and fifty markers. I wish I could find my headphones so I could listen to music and feel like the music is inside me.

C

cally75

I just came back from Michaels, which is a craft store, and spent $37 on a mandala colouring book and fifty markers. I wish I could find my headphones so I could listen to music and feel like the music is inside me.
This maybe not good idea - stay in bed! Works for me but I don't have any responsibilities! Get my food delivered by tesco.com & everything else on debit card so I don't really go out much

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Staying in bed just makes me worse. I used to colour mandalas to help de-stress and I had totally forgotten about that. It really does help me to calm down because I have to focus, and I get to choose colours that I like and think go well together, and make something pretty.

I can't just stay in bed all day, because I am in uni and trying to get my life back together so I can get a job and support myself. Right now I am living off a loan from my parents, but that can't go on indefinitely.

StillFighting

StillFighting

Are you feeling even a bit better right now? :hug:

Staying in bed just makes me worse.
I understand, more than you can imagine. The most difficult thing for me is try to get out of bed and actually do something, and not spend the whole day there.

I used to colour mandalas to help de-stress and I had totally forgotten about that. It really does help me to calm down because I have to focus, and I get to choose colours that I like and think go well together, and make something pretty.
This sounds like a creative and very nice thing to do :)

I can't just stay in bed all day, because I am in uni and trying to get my life back together so I can get a job and support myself. Right now I am living off a loan from my parents, but that can't go on indefinitely.
I get that as well. Uni was stressful for me too at times; my parents were (and still are) supporting me financially, which sometimes made me feel very guilty. I graduated a few months ago, and now I'm looking for a job. There is this pressure (mostly in my head, but also because of circumstances), that the financial support of course cannot go indefinitely.

But it's important to find the balance between doing useful/practical things towards your goal (studying/applying for jobs) and also do things to de-stress, relax and have fun, so you won't drive yourself crazy in the process. It's not an easy one certainly, it's still quite difficult for me sometimes. :hug:

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
StillFighting, Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. Lately the whole balance thing has been way off kilter. Little to no studying, staying in bed way too long, and watching too much crap on Netflix. This morning I woke up at around 3:30, but somehow feeling more positive this morning. I listened to my favourite soothing music last night and started working on a mandala that's not too complicated. I see my therapist this morning at 10, and I will see her again tomorrow. Right now I am seeing her twice a week, so hopefully that will be helpful.

StillFighting

StillFighting

Lately the whole balance thing has been way off kilter. Little to no studying, staying in bed way too long, and watching too much crap on Netflix.
That was pretty much last week for me, and yesterday also. It's like there are good days, and then setbacks like that. I certainly hope that seeing your therapist will help, I remember your posts about previous cancelled appointments :hug:

Hold on to that positive feeling :hug: On a side note, I had no idea what a mandala was prior to reading your posts, I looked it up on the internet, and it looks really cool :D