• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Vomiting because of anxiety

S

skylark200

Hi!
I used to struggle with IBS a lot, when I was 17 I only weighed 48kg (I'm 1.83m tall). I've been having really bad anxiety for a week now and today I keep having to throw up and also have diarrhea even though I haven't eaten anything. Last time my anxiety was bad I had to vomit every day for a whole week. Anyone else have these kinds of physical reactions and any tips on how to deal with them?

Kavaris_Valiant_One

Kavaris_Valiant_One

Hi!
I used to struggle with IBS a lot, when I was 17 I only weighed 48kg (I'm 1.83m tall). I've been having really bad anxiety for a week now and today I keep having to throw up and also have diarrhea even though I haven't eaten anything. Last time my anxiety was bad I had to vomit every day for a whole week. Anyone else have these kinds of physical reactions and any tips on how to deal with them?
Believe it or not, I threw up today (first time in many months)... Couldve been anxiety, couldve been something else. Dealing with chronic nausea and/or throwing up alot is like... Its tough at first. Because it doesnt make sense; as far as how to solve it. I can honestly say though, that it did go away. How, i dont know. Originally, i wasn't able to eat or do anything for many months, and slowly, me vomitting just started to not happen as much. I focused on my appetite, that was one thing. I focused on my stomach. And, not letting any negative thoughts or chatter get through. I think something just clicked for me.

O

OliviaAustralia

Hi!
I can relate to this, last year my anxiety was causing me to throw up every morning and often again later in the day. This continued for a few months. It actually ended up causing a very painful stomach acidity issue that had to be treated in hospital (I don't mean to scare you, the issue came up after literally months of vomiting).
What ended up helping me was identifying the time of day or the circumstances when I would be most likely to throw up from anxiety and making sure I would be busy at that time. So for example because I would wake up and throw up (or feel like throwing up) immediately, I made a routine of going to have a cup of tea with my neighbor or talking to my friend on Facetime as soon as I woke up and that distraction helped me. I was also prone to vomiting shortly after meals, something about the feeling of a full stomach combined with the anxiety would just make all my food come back up. So I got in the habit of eating my food at a time when I had something that I had to get up and do immediately afterwards.
I know distraction is not exactly a groundbreaking technique for treating anxiety, but that's what worked for me.
I hope things get better x

C

CarlaNorford

I feel like I need to throw up (even throw up at times if it hits me hard) when I get panic attacks. I'm an anxious person, which doesn't help, but with that I can get by easily cause I'm pretty tough. But the panic attacks, those I can't handle at all, they are linked to specific events and people and I feel overwhelmed to the point where everything cracks. So basically, I live in fear of how my mind and body will react, which targets my panic attacks, and I eventually end up vomiting. Yey, so fun...

J

jamraspberry

Hi @skylark200 , I also have IBS symptoms, I think it's because of my anxiety.

How do you cope with the vomiting? Do you drink water afterwards to stop the sick feeling?

S

skylark200

Hi @skylark200 , I also have IBS symptoms, I think it's because of my anxiety.

How do you cope with the vomiting? Do you drink water afterwards to stop the sick feeling?
I haven't found a great way to deal with it yet tbh, I rarely vomit so this is super new to me. I've found that taking tiny little sips of water or cold tea (I prefer fennel because it calms your stomach) are a good way to keep hydrated when it happens. Sometimes drinking through a straw helps too. Just make sure you don't dehydrate and if it goes on for longer try to get some electrolytes or drink some broth or eat a mashed banana if you can. I also just curl up in bed and nap when it happens. Sending you lots of hugs 💗

J

jamraspberry

Cold tea is good.

I cannot have hot tea, it triggers my IBS symptoms, I'm getting a check up on that soon.

S

skylark200

Cold tea is good.

I cannot have hot tea, it triggers my IBS symptoms, I'm getting a check up on that soon.
I've had IBS for almost 10 years now so if there's anything else I can help you with feel free to message me! 😊

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Anxiety Forum 6
B Anxiety Forum 0
A Anxiety Forum 6
J Anxiety Forum 4
M Anxiety Forum 3