• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Volunteering

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

I've been thinking for a while about volunteering for MH services, however there's none around me. Does anyone know how I could find anything out? I know on Mind's website there's a volunteer service but I want to keep my options open to other services I could volunteer in too :)

Thankies :flowers:

J

jamesdean

I'm sorry lozi I'm not sure which city you live in but the mh services where I live have a volunteer co rdinator they might have someone you could talk to at your trusts head quarters if you gave them a call, take care and good luck JD:)

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Lozzi,

It seems that each area runs things on different lines but... I attend a social services resource centre which has a work placement / experience officer thingy in post and with them acting as a sort of co-ordinator a group of us are trying to establish either a charity or social enterprise for mental health in the Selby area. So we are setting up our own volunteerin thing which is great as we get to respond to the needs of service users.... sorry, long story but you could see if there are any resource centre provision near you and go along and see if anyone else would be interested in doing something collectively. Don't yet know for sure that it will come to anything but it's really exciting.

I have a meeting tomorrow with the work placement person so could ask to see if they know anything about your area if you like?

The other thing that I'm just about to embark on is a train the trainer course looking to train people with MH problems so that they can then go out and do awareness raising courses. This appears to be something jointly organised through the local social services and mind so you could give either of them a ring and see if they know of anything happening.

J

jamesdean

:hijacked:Hi have to say honey be careful with the work and learn advisor they almost F****d all my benfits up because their lack of personal skills and beenfit advice they will have you sign your life away just like work directionas and remploy and the like the thing they tell you that they understand I had three advisors involved and in 6 months they hadnt got any thing organised that I couldnt of done for myself and then beware they talk to your mh team without you knowing I was disgusted and had to make acomplaint. I didnt like to have to but when I raed the long drawn out letter about how the locum ahd a chat about me when he couldnt even sort out my referal and suggested I jaust get stoned and I'm not telling you a word of alye then I was getting literature through my doorr about returning to full time work honestly believe every word I tell you because I got really :scared: by them.
All I wanted was alittle bit of light hearted chill out things to do like train the trainer but then the college burnt down n they didnt know whot to do I was really disapointed but then I dont have much faith in the nhs.
I ended up at the day centre in mess.

In fact I just phoned the day centre because it was on my mind and they havent heard anything properly so I will phone user voice next.The nhs cannot organise a tea run.
I hope that you have more faith
I missed the train the trainer with mind because of all the promises from social inclusion, not to many people understand mh and march you into the dole office before you even realised whot has happened and have you telling them you are fit for work thats graet if you are but beieve me people get big back handers for getting people back to work.
I'm not trying to put you off I'm looking forward to train the trainer this year, but it was nearly at agreat expense.
Sorry lozzi for the hijack its just that I feel so strongly its one thing to volunteer and another to just be able to return to work full time I collasped from sheer exhaustion from some of the advice I was given. because I still want to carry on looking to improve my life but going to work full time is something I could just do yes I would love it and it would full fill all my dreams and aspirations but from this life to that I have no education and asked the social inclusion taem n they wanted to send me to bust main stream college for well peole, God I'm so angry talking about if you seen all the perfetic emails I have had from people that because they are well they have little or no understanding a out mh n though they were lovely people Love dosent pay the rent.
I was told by my mentor who isnt from the social inclusion taem but from th mh trust told me I have to get used to public transport he is so short sited I cannot use the bus because of physical health pain.
I'm going to print htis page off because I have to take all this up with the lcmht.
Can you believe I've just phoned up the lcmht team whilst on this thraed because I'm so disgusted.
I dont know where all this came from but it certainly needed to be said I'm really sorry Lozzi that I uaed your thread but I'm going to print it off now and then add to it once printe I had forgot just how bad I've bben trated. SORRY Jd

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi JD,

I can see how it could all blow up in my face as it did with you. I'll tread carefully and check a few things out - have a meeting tomorrow.

Scary stuff isn't it - trying to do just a bit more and getting hammered for it.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

It's alright James :) Any advice is much welcome!! I was looking to volunteer on evenings and Saturday's or Sunday's.

Oh my God James! You've really had a bad time of it with the volunteering!! I hope they take in your complaint because it could have really screwed things up for you worse! Do you think you'll hear anything back from them?

Sorry I totally should have been more specific I live near a city called Wakefield in W, Yorks but the MH services around here are pretty crap, there's the local CMHT for the 5 towns and Fieldhead and Newton Lodge which is the pyschiatric hospital and forensic psychology unit. So my nearest bet for things is Leeds.

J

jamesdean

I 've just found out my cmht have broken confidentiality and I have to speak to someone but not sure who if any one has any ideas please pm me thanks in anticapation. I cannot sleep because I'm so upset andangry and sick with worry.:scared:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
They will have a complaints procedure. Do have some one such as a CPN who you could discuss your concerns with first?
KP

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Oh seriously? How'd they breach that? I don't blame you for being angry one bit - Honey's come up with soem good ideas and Mind have a legal team, you could give them a ring? K called them with regards to my drivers licence and he said they were really helpful!
Failing that, your local Citizens Advice?

Take care and good luck!
:flowers:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Mind has a legal team, phoned them yrs ago when i was been harrassed they told me their field of expertise was sectioning law, i said that would do me a lot of good knowing if i end up in hospital they can get me out and back into the area.

I'm negative but other friends have been told the same seems they don't want to know unless your in hospital, mind community care, they don't like criticising

J

jamesdean

My good friend who hung himself told me "mind" have got milions of pounds just sat in the bank from this goverment they didnt help my friend and hes dead now such a great guy and so well educated I loved to talk to him he would tell me things that I couldnt even comprehend he and another friend explained to me about roads in the skys for planes I could never never imagined that in my wildest dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

It doesn't matter what company you go to all of them are going to have good and bad points. Different people will have had different experiences with Mind (or any other organisation).
How long ago was that Rambo?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend James :hug: It must have been an awful shock too you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Funnyday Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1