• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Volunteering can be bad for mental health without the right welfare support

G

Georgia May

Compulsory volunteering is an oxymoron. If it isn't something you want to do or enjoy then it won't improve your mental health. The people who run the voluntary service wouldn't want people who were unhappy there anyway.

I think people should be able to do as many hours as possible without hassle from the DWP. Voluntary work is not the same as paid work in that you go because you want to, and if you don't, then it isn't voluntary work, it's doing something you hate for nothing in return, and that is bound to make anyone miserable. :scratcheshead:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
as anyone knows whose been in hospital the difference between voluntary or involuntary can get blurred, eg the guy on probation whose encouraged to volunteer and does so to please the probation officer who has the power to return him to prison

i might consider volunteering paid part time work if i had some guarantee from a social worker they'd support me if things got difficult, my friends neighbour who comes under a rampton aftercare section can do that, they're legally required to suppport him

Last edited:
N

natalie

HI all,

I was in hospital back in 2004, only for a couple of months, having made good steady progress thank goodness.

Volunteering was suggested very quick, later on that year of 2004, and I took the idea up right away, in fact, we were - the social worker at my day centre branch, and my mother, and myself, talking about adhering to attending in at the day centre, and then volunteering came up, the idea of, and I never looked back since, apart from the fact, if I happen through physical health not be well, and separatley I'll become irritible, however, volunteering can be and certainly is very theraputic for wellbeing of mental health recovery - and i tmight be worth of a reminder - a quick recap, that for years and years, I happen to be considered a well character, rather than severely ill, this according to registrars who I was under as a outpatient, and discharged from them back in 2008.

And once again, I do enjoy and find volunteering very much rewarding, helps organisations chairties to have their targets or goals met, over a week, month, or even months.

Plus, I get out and about volunteering, and another challenge I have, is my communicaiton difficulities, I always like to meet people for that how to phrase it, volunteering social interaction. Certainly I couldn't possible talk chat, whilst getting the work done, that's not me, and it's not on, the work is to be done.

Sorry for diagressing. This topic has suddenly grabbed my attention.

I forgot to add, I happen to be very much an independant happy character when it comes to volunteering, I don't need carers, or extra volunteering support - I'm fine. Except I am unwell through mental health and on med to control that.

Last edited:
G

Georgia May

It can but not in all cases, some people actively choose voluntary work and doing something without fear of being harassed by someone makes it much more enjoyable.

I prefer it to paid work as I tend to want to be doing it rather than just to survive. Also if you have a bad day you can get it off. No such pleasure for someone in paid work.

However if it is done out of coercion it could be awful and as bad if not worse than a paid job. Being on benefits and in a paid job can be more trouble than it's worth as you lose benefits if you work too much. :(

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I was volunteering a museum but quit it. I found it tough going as it involved speaking the public. Its not easy with this illness.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i remember when i was going to addaction, there were people there sent by the courts who'd take it out on people

remember when i was in mapperley 40yrs ago most people were voluntary then there was malcome and keith given the choice between mapperley and prison, nasty people

now the same people who'de have been in mapperley are out in the community at addaction

Years ago i went to the employment training it was ruined by david an epilectic ex con, my then analyst said a lot of ex cons and heroin addicts are forced onto those schemes by they're probation officer and a no are violent

i said you can say the same about schitzoprenics, he said the schitzoprenics i've known are more concerned about hurting me than i am about them hurting me

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Screechout Volunteering with Universal Credit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 16
S Mental Health is better so I want to try volunteering but am afraid of losing my benefits! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
K Support group and volunteering Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
I Volunteering to work Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
LORD BURT Odd Volunteering Experience. I am not that surprised actually. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
K ESA support group working part time (volunteering) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
shaky Volunteering terminated Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
bert tomato Volunteering. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 18
PetitPois Trying to get better, while still being bad Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
B Universal Credit? A bad idea... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
R Going from bad to worse Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 14
L PIP assessment lasted 30 minutes. Is this bad news? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
W was this a bad decision? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
L The temps are insulting and bad tempered and the area supervisor Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
I Bad news for the wrag Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
A Has anyone else experienced any mental torture from their boss/professor/etc.? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
hanging_in_there Anyone else who can't work due to mental illness? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
D mental block - studies Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
K Student mental health Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
C Pip phoning mental health team Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
P Mental health and working and pip advice Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
P Need help with first time ESA assessment / ESA 50 / Severe mental health issues Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
N Non state financial support for mental health Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
Heidrun Mental health and society Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
M PIP mental health claim rejected, need advice. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 45
F Benefits system causing ‘unneccesary distress’ to people with mental health problems, report says Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
J Dropping out of college because of mental health and finance issues Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
N Insurance covering mental health issues Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
S Contents insurance cover for serious mental illness, any advice please Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
AliceinWonderland PIP assessors assessing those with mental health issues NEED to be qualified in mental health Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 19
H Disinherited because of mental illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
I Severe mental illness and work Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
F Mental health and money advice Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
L The people with mental health problems that are being stripped of their benefits Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
D Pip reassesment mental health Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
I Mental health sick leace Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Per Ardua Ad Astra Council Tax Exemption and Severe Mental Impairment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 22
T PIP for mental health - medication Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
cpuusage Fitness for work test has led to deterioration in mental health, say researchers Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
S "Some people fake mental health..." Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
cpuusage DWP 'tells disability benefits assessors to discriminate against people with mental health conditions' Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
G Mental health stigma against mental health professionals Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
F Mental health and money survey Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
cpuusage Sufferers with progressive and mental illnesses have benefits cut by the DWP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 42
T Defaults due to mental health on credit file Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Nikita Important news mental health charity mind is applying to work as dwp work coaches! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
The Guvnah Delusional psychosis and the Mental Capacity Act - don't get this at all?? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
J Any jobs that mental health problems disqualify you from? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
T Atos home visit, my husband has severe mental health problems Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 21
L What information should I give to mental health services? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2