Volunteering and benefits

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Would volunteering make me lose my S.S.I.? I go to a mental health group where part of my recovery is volunteering at least 2 days per week. My psychiatrist has access to my group records since she works for the same company. But my lawyer said to not tell my psychiatrist about my daily activities as he feels that could cause me to lose my benefits. Should I take volunteering out from my recovery goals? Or should I volunteer? One of my mental health providers told me before that volunteering is okay. Is my lawyer correct? Should I stop volunteering? Will it really make me lose my benefits? Sorry this is a long post. Please help. :scratch:

T

Twokiwisandabanana

Just volunteer but don't tell anybody
No one will find out and you get to do what you like:D

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Thank you. I will just tell them to take the volunteering off my care plan. If the don't I won't tell them if I volunteer.

T

Twokiwisandabanana

Tell them your too sick to volunteer at the moment but you might go back to it at some point
Xxxxx

N

natalie

Might I advise, and I have volunteered for years, within my religious sector, and am on benfits, too, volunteering does not in any way effect your rights to be on benefits. You are receiving benefit money because you are unwell, or were unwell, and have now recovered, and as far as iknow, and I have very much recovered, from pshycotic, and general mental health problems, thouigh I do have my up and downs, just like every one else with mental health, i am considered to be very well, and CAN VOLUNTEER, ah even though I amon benefits. The benefits authority advised me, that I can do volunteering, just, that I can't do paid work.

I hope this helps.

Your lawyer, must have the wrong end of the stick, somewhow.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Might I advise, and I have volunteered for years, within my religious sector, and am on benfits, too, volunteering does not in any way effect your rights to be on benefits. You are receiving benefit money because you are unwell, or were unwell, and have now recovered, and as far as iknow, and I have very much recovered, from pshycotic, and general mental health problems, thouigh I do have my up and downs, just like every one else with mental health, i am considered to be very well, and CAN VOLUNTEER, ah even though I amon benefits. The benefits authority advised me, that I can do volunteering, just, that I can't do paid work.

I hope this helps.

Your lawyer, must have the wrong end of the stick, somewhow.
You are better and didn't lose your benefits??? I am not better. But If I got better I would lose mine. How are you still keeping yours?

N

natalie

I am better in that I am on medication. I am never very well. I might have used an incorrect word there.

I was advised by the benefits departments years back, and this was in their correspondence, saying that unfortunately I am not allowed to do paid work, however I can do volunteering. I was well reminded by father, today, that I haven't got and a word he used, constutions for paid work. Also, I have genuine problems with getting about, via public transport, when dark. or later afternoons when darker at that point of day in the wintry months.

It all hinges , on what you do and don't actually say to the benefits people.

Once again, I prefer the way that i am meaning, on benefits, on medication for mental health welfare, and doing volunteering ad hoc duties.

As i point out, I might have used an incorrect term.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I am better in that I am on medication. I am never very well. I might have used an incorrect word there.

I was advised by the benefits departments years back, and this was in their correspondence, saying that unfortunately I am not allowed to do paid work, however I can do volunteering. I was well reminded by father, today, that I haven't got and a word he used, constutions for paid work. Also, I have genuine problems with getting about, via public transport, when dark. or later afternoons when darker at that point of day in the wintry months.

It all hinges , on what you do and don't actually say to the benefits people.

Once again, I prefer the way that i am meaning, on benefits, on medication for mental health welfare, and doing volunteering ad hoc duties.

As i point out, I might have used an incorrect term.
from what i gather you have a high level of support with the benefit system, you don't have to deal with it yourself