Voluntary Sectioning

P

parker58

Hi all, I'm a new poster and wondered what the procedure is with regard to voluntary sectioning.

For example,
do you go to your GP or hospital?
are you assessed?
do you get a sick note?
how long do you stay?
what happens while you're there? (counselling, etc)
can you discharge yourself?
what other people are there?
do all hospitals have the facility/ward?

The reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine is at the end of their tether and feels this is the only remaining option. They have been on various anti-anxiety/bipolar/anti-depressant/SAD medication (possibly others) for over 5 years, but have never felt improvements in their mental state. They are suicidal.

Any help greatly appreciated.

BORTU

BORTU

Hello,

Just go to your GP and let him know how you feel. You can always post here and be sure of a non- critical reply. WE are all fellow sufferers. Welcome.

schizolanza

schizolanza

If your friend is suicidal then go to your local accident and emergency.That's what I did when I was suicidal.I was sectioned.

P

parker58

Thanks for replies. Their GP had given up on them, so they went to A&E.

What I'm concerned about is what happens now?

schizolanza

schizolanza

Sorry I was watching the football.I've only just seen your post.
I can't tell you what will happen,but I can tell you what happened to me.
Initially I was seen by Doctor after waiting with my brother to be seen.She asked me questions and became concerned.She told me so.
Then I was seen by a psychiatrist who spoke to me and my brother.She asked me lots of questions.She would come back and speak to me several times over the course of the afternoon.I had been allocated a bed which i sat on for the afternoon.
By the evening I was transported by ambulance to another hospital which had psychiatric wards.I was given a bed.
The next day I was seen by a psychiatrist and a social worker.They explained that they were sectioning me under the mental health act.I stayed on that ward for about 6 weeks.I was medicated against my will.
I've just given you some of the basic facts.It was a very traumatic time for me to say the least but I've not gone into any of that because I dont think it is helpful to your situation.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I was told that if I didn't go into hospital voluntarily then I would be sectioned. I was kept in for two weeks then was allowed weekend leave. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had tried to discharge myself in that time but I was allowed to discharge myself after a month. I didn't have such a bad experience as Olanza, in fact I would say that going to hospital saved my life but I know others have extreme horror stories. I think it depends what hospital you are in.

T

Topcat

I think (?) there was a post before Taffy's. Gone now though and can't see that it was somewhere else.
Something about feeling violent(?) and voices.
X

M

Madtransit

I have people who help but when u see a doctor or mental health team it's like banging it head against a brick wall and the don't listen it's like the waiting for you to do some thin bad be fore the will actually be leave you

coldwater00

coldwater00

I would have thought it was fairly rare for a person to be sectioned voluntarily.

C

Chat26

I have none elisply and conversion disoder feel take over my life . Not working moment due fits on meds that don't work spend môre time in hospiral I been ventilated at. Hospiral 4 times because oxygen level dropped has I fit hours . We're all answers

C

Chat26

Sometimes have watch you say too your family and doctors I feel

L

Lilac

Hello,

Just go to your GP and let him know how you feel. You can always post here and be sure of a non- critical reply. WE are all fellow sufferers. Welcome.
I disagree, I am well. As far as I am aware if you go in as a voluntary patient and you try to leave they can section you and that will be it then, you would never be unsectioned again.

S

stephenr

You should never voluntary section yourself ever. I know loads of people who have been sectioned, l was nearly sectioned they took me from police station when l was ill. they drugged me up for 72 hrs before proper assessment. I was so ill as they left me for all that time without food of water l nearly died.
I had to go to main hospital casualty dept because l was so ill.l was seriously Dehydrated. My sister came to hospital told them to leave me alone. Good when you have a sister who's a solicitor.l now attend mental health out patients. Never get yourself sectioned. Everyone l ever met have real horror stories, especially the girls...those nurses and doctors in them places can do anything to you. Strip you naked , watch you shower. Perverts work in those places.