Voluntary Inpatient

T

trfc2019

Hi all,

My situation is that I was raped, 6 months on and the flashbacks are getting too much and I am starting to lose grip of myself a bit

I am thinking of trying and seeing if I can be referred to hospital via my GP, has anyone done this before? I am just wondering how long it takes post referral?

Thanks a lot

Valka

Valka

Hello trfc.

I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you.

I believe it can take quite a few weeks for a referal but it depends upon multiple factors such as availability of resources, etc.
I hope you get the help you need and there are always people here if you need someone to talk to.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alladyn1919

Hi all,

My situation is that I was raped, 6 months on and the flashbacks are getting too much and I am starting to lose grip of myself a bit

I am thinking of trying and seeing if I can be referred to hospital via my GP, has anyone done this before? I am just wondering how long it takes post referral?

Thanks a lot
I would like to warn you and anybody else with similar dilemma, not to be in a hurry to go to psychiatric hospital in a situation where there is no absolute need for that.Also I wouldn't advise anybody to seek obvious,so that everybody knows, psychiatric or even psychological treatment if such a treatment is available in a fashion so that nobody knows.Don't advertise any mental health issues to anybody if that can be avoided.
If possible, not even to your close friends and family.Avoid publicity as much as you can.If you are regarded as a person having no mental issues do all you can to stay it that way.Seeking no treatment is probably no option but it is my sincere advice to avoid publicity if you can afford it.You will be much better off when after successful treatment you won't be regarded by the public as having ever any mental issues.
I wouldn't like to discourage anybody from seeking treatment.Getting.no treatment usually (if not always)makes
matters worse and problem become obvious to everybody anyway.But I really strongly dislike suggestions of seeking local ,open, obnvious treatment without any warning.Even the slightest warning about publicity seem to be not made."Go ahead", "don't be shy", "everybody loves you"', "you can get (only )support".Yes, indeed.
The so called general public is that supportive and that loving.Indeed.
Don't be lured by such voices into seeking publicised treatment if you can get not publicised one.I don't know your exact situation but please consider pros and cons before taking such an important decision in your life.

Alladyn1919

Skynet

Skynet

I would like to warn you and anybody else with similar dilemma, not to be in a hurry to go to psychiatric hospital in a situation where there is no absolute need for that.Also I wouldn't advise anybody to seek obvious,so that everybody knows, psychiatric or even psychological treatment if such a treatment is available in a fashion so that nobody knows.Don't advertise any mental health issues to anybody if that can be avoided.
If possible, not even to your close friends and family.Avoid publicity as much as you can.If you are regarded as a person having no mental issues do all you can to stay it that way.Seeking no treatment is probably no option but it is my sincere advice to avoid publicity if you can afford it.You will be much better off when after successful treatment you won't be regarded by the public as having ever any mental issues.
I wouldn't like to discourage anybody from seeking treatment.Getting.no treatment usually (if not always)makes
matters worse and problem become obvious to everybody anyway.But I really strongly dislike suggestions of seeking local ,open, obnvious treatment without any warning.Even the slightest warning about publicity seem to be not made."Go ahead", "don't be shy", "everybody loves you"', "you can get (only )support".Yes, indeed.
The so called general public is that supportive and that loving.Indeed.
Don't be lured by such voices into seeking publicised treatment if you can get not publicised one.I don't know your exact situation but please consider pros and cons before taking such an important decision in your life.

Alladyn1919
I once endured an incident that was as traumatic as rape and it took me a decade to get over it. If you're curious about what the event was, it was an involuntary admission to a mental health facility where the nurse used excessive force. After the incident, I was an emotional wreck for several years. I never sought psychological counselling for the PTSD I developed as a result and it took me over a decade to get over it. Even today, I know that my meds play a major role in keeping me afloat.

Honestly, after being raped, the OP's sanity may be more important than whether she's being regarded as a psychiatric patient.

@OP: Please seek any treatment available as soon as you can. It is not a sign of personal weakness. You didn't deserve this any more than I deserved my ordeal. I know that getting over the incident can now seem impossible but time does heal and therapy can help shorten that time.

megirl

megirl

Sounds like you need urgent help
Personally I wish I had sought help earlier. Denial was of no benefit to myself, despite others wanting to help me
I didn't want to involve even my closest friends but fortunately could see how crook I actually was, I wouldn't be here if I had chosen to avoid service that are available.

Interesting if I was having a heart attack or a broken leg, well.most any physical health issues I would be immediately be requesting medical attention,
Noone needs to suffer we all deserve the help and support to get us back on track

A

Alladyn1919

Sounds like you need urgent help
Personally I wish I had sought help earlier. Denial was of no benefit to myself, despite others wanting to help me
I didn't want to involve even my closest friends but fortunately could see how crook I actually was, I wouldn't be here if I had chosen to avoid service that are available.

Interesting if I was having a heart attack or a broken leg, well.most any physical health issues I would be immediately be requesting medical attention,
Noone needs to suffer we all deserve the help and support to get us back on track

Such advises would be great if they were linked with some, at least subtle warning about seeking obvious, local, (not sure what proper word to use, but everybody should know what
I mean ) psychiatric treatment.
It's kind of advocating taking some, maybe effective medicine without telling about that's medicine's serious side effects.
I don't have time now to expatiate about that issue , especially since my English seem to be deteriorating lately, but believe me, that it is not the same thing if "people" know about your mental health issues or if they don't.
Consider well every aspect of your situation, get secretely more information from various credible sources.Make a decision ,seek such kind of help ,which wouldn't be detrimental to your future prospects.
I believe that some luring advises (made maybe in good faith, don't know) are made by people who have nothing to lose in that respect.

Alladyn1919

megirl

megirl

hi trfc2019
meant to say welcome,
its great you have joined us
a place of support,

Hope you are able to seek help,
Here in NZ we go through a GP
Though in crisis you need to ring the crisis team,
or go straight to your local A&E
In the UK its the same process,I believe

C

Chris Walken

Trfc; How long it might take is not the issue here.

You're, surely, already in touch with your GP, about this matter?

What ever: The sooner you sit there, face to face with your GP, and ask Them about a referral? That's the day ye potential visit to the ward gets a day closer.

They'll also best be able to start helping ye, the very day ye speak to them. And, if a referral is what they think will help? They'll sort that out too.

A

Alladyn1919

Trfc; How long it might take is not the issue here.

You're, surely, already in touch with your GP, about this matter?

What ever: The sooner you sit there, face to face with your GP, and ask Them about a referral? That's the day ye potential visit to the ward gets a day closer.

They'll also best be able to start helping ye, the very day ye speak to them. And, if a referral is what they think will help? They'll sort that out too.
I am growing suspicious about such advises.If they are not offered with malicious intent.Kind of somebody who is drowned already trying to drown others.
I don't have time now, but I'll have to write in detail about my experiences as well as real life testimonies of people whose mental issues became known to everybody.
My country is not that backward, I don't think that elsewhere is much different story.There may be much more pretense but people everywhere are rather not much different.
I really don't know much about ptsd, what it can lead to if untreated, whether it passes away on its own, what treatment if effective, etc etc.
But advises to the effect of rushing into obvious, local psychiatric treatmen without any mention about possible stigma afterwards is completely dishonest.I seem to be the only one who is talking about that in this forum.I am really growing suspicious about intentions of others.
Yes,indeed.The sooner you get into local psychiatric hospital the better.The sooner all people will learn about
your mental health problems the better.Yes.Indeed.The sooner future prospects may be ruined the better.

Alladyn1919

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi trfc. I don’t think being admitted to a psychiatric hospital in your case would be the right thing. And it may upset you as you will come across a variety of situations. Including aggression , from some of the patients. I think you should seek professional help though as you have been thru a terrible trauma and it needs dealing with. Please contact a rape crisis centre. They are all over England and hopefully they can help you get any therapy you need

megirl

megirl

Hi trfc1919,
How are things,have you been able to get some help?
As daffy suggested might be easier to get in touch with the rape crisis centre. However I hope you have made contact with someone that can help,
Take care