• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Voices at Night

R

Rider52

I'm struggling with the voices at night before and waking up from sleep. I've been told this is normal. But regardless of how stressed I am it still happens. I don't drink or do drugs either. I just feel like somethings not right. I'm not sure whether to get a second opinion from the professionals or not. Everytime I go somewhere I'm sent home without an answer.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Rider52!

I'm sorry you struggle with this. 😞 Hearing voices must be really scary and frustrating. I believe that likely comes from stress, and or something you haven't dealt with. Are you prone to guilt? Do you suffer from trauma?

I've had OCD and even though it might be repetitive thoughts, not voices, I still suffer from hearing a lot of negative, "You can't, shouldn't do this." "You're wrong." "Don't do that." And that comes from years of seeking approval from others and being unable to live with my mistakes.

If this is you, then I suggest learning to identify these thoughts. Put them on paper. Look at them. Accept them. Remove the fear of these voices in your head. Let them be there. Your fear of the thoughts is making them louder. Silence them but not fearing them.

You also have to determine what they're telling you and why they're telling you that. Whose voice do you hear? Yours or someone else's? Take some time to analyze these thoughts. Their vagueness makes it harder to assess how they're affecting you. Once you put them on the examination table, you can gradually learn to have power over them.

If you don't know where to start, I suggest seeking therapy. You'll be able to talk about your thoughts and get someone else's advice and encouragement. It's been really helpful for me.

I hope you're able to identify these voices and shine a light on them. When you're able to do that, you'll be able to live with them without them bothering you. I believe in you!

Good luck, Rider!

R

Rider52

Hi Rider52!

I'm sorry you struggle with this. 😞 Hearing voices must be really scary and frustrating. I believe that likely comes from stress, and or something you haven't dealt with. Are you prone to guilt? Do you suffer from trauma?

I've had OCD and even though it might be repetitive thoughts, not voices, I still suffer from hearing a lot of negative, "You can't, shouldn't do this." "You're wrong." "Don't do that." And that comes from years of seeking approval from others and being unable to live with my mistakes.

If this is you, then I suggest learning to identify these thoughts. Put them on paper. Look at them. Accept them. Remove the fear of these voices in your head. Let them be there. Your fear of the thoughts is making them louder. Silence them but not fearing them.

You also have to determine what they're telling you and why they're telling you that. Whose voice do you hear? Yours or someone else's? Take some time to analyze these thoughts. Their vagueness makes it harder to assess how they're affecting you. Once you put them on the examination table, you can gradually learn to have power over them.

If you don't know where to start, I suggest seeking therapy. You'll be able to talk about your thoughts and get someone else's advice and encouragement. It's been really helpful for me.

I hope you're able to identify these voices and shine a light on them. When you're able to do that, you'll be able to live with them without them bothering you. I believe in you!

Good luck, Rider!
Hi LokiPokey75,

I can't think of any trauma. I did deal with a lot of stress though. I thought I was handling it well until this happened. I usually hear the voices just as I'm falling asleep or hear chatter that wakes me up. Once I'm awake I don't hear anything. Sometimes it sounds like my own voice or someone I know. Other times it's odd sounds or mumbling. It seems like it revolves around things that have bothered me in the past.

B

butterfly88

Im so sick and tired of this, i dont wanna bother anymore.